Thursday, August 15, 2013

Do You Know Him as Your Beloved Lord?

Danny and I are pretty busy. Many times we are going in different directions to get everything done. After all these years I know what he thinks and how he feels about things so I can anticipate his needs to a great extent. If we’re going on a trip I know what he likes to carry so I pack things for him. He knows me as well. He knows I like to carry too much stuff so he anticipates needing more room.

We didn’t know each other so well in the beginning. But we loved each other so we studied one another to find out how to please each other not just ourselves. I assumed I knew how to cook but you know I had to really learn how to make a meal taste good. I had to find out that we didn’t always like the same food. Although I knew Danny, I found out so much more about him when we got married and we shared everything together. We surprised each other about some things, we adjusted other things and together we learned to know another better. We found that dating was great, but being married was wonderful. I found that to know Danny was to love him and I’ve always been blessed with the trust in his faithfulness, loyalty and truth.

People think they know God. You hear all kinds of things about Him. I grew up seeing Him as a benevolent old man who could get you if you crossed Him. My father called Him the “old man upstairs” so I had that picture of Him as well. But I kept thinking He was with me and watched over me. I called on Him often for help and for security. Others think of God as a distant aloof being. Yes, God created the world or something, but He pretty much leaves us alone to do our own thing. Some people fear God, others disdain Him. Some live with incredible guilt regarding Him and others blame Him for everything. He seemed nice to me, but I just didn’t know much about Him.

When we are born again, we begin a covenant relationship with the Lord. Kind of like a marriage. We begin to live with the Lord – He comes to make His home in our hearts. Unlike human marriage, which can have a rocky start as people don’t know much about one another, this union is perfect because God Himself laid it all out for us. The Bible is our marriage manual. Through it we can learn everything we need to know about the Lord God, about Jesus and about the Holy Spirit.

There is an enemy to this marriage and his name is Satan. He doesn’t want you and I to know about God. He will do everything He can to keep us from reading the Word, learning about God and living in the light of all that’s contained within those most beautiful pages. 
 
God’s desire is full disclosure – He shows us everything we need for life and godliness. Satan’s desire is to keep us in the dark, so that we don’t trust the Lord. And if we don’t trust Him we’ll find the relationship of our faith weak and distant.

The One who placed the stars and planets in orbit, the One who gave the earth its axis and set it securely in the heavens is the same One who loves you deeply and provides all your needs. He wants you to know everything about Himself, including His never ending love! God knows that if you get to know Him you will love him more. The more you read about Him the more you will learn to trust Him. The more you trust Him the more you will let Him be your leader, your guide and your friend. Every single word of love and care was written with you in mind.

Oh beloved, run to the Book of Love this morning and read about your relationship with the Lord Himself. This amazing love relationship He desires for you is beyond belief! He loves to bless you with every spiritual blessing as you reach out to know Him better. He loves you eternally – the great I AM – and He is for you always to save you, to keep you, to deliver you and to take you home with Him. Now that’s worth loving Him, knowing Him and trusting Him forever.

Deuteronomy 6:5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

1 Corinthians 13:7 (God’s) Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.

Deuteronomy 33:3 Indeed, He loves the people; All Your holy ones are in Your hand, And they followed in Your steps; Everyone receives of Your words.

Psalm 20:7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the Lord our God.

Psalm 136:26 Give thanks to the God of heaven. His faithful love endures forever.

Psalm 31:14 But as for me, I trust in You, O LORD, I say, “You are my God.”

No comments: