Monday, May 19, 2014

Plenty of Room in God's Will

For those who get the devo via email I have been "out of pocket" for several days. You can always view the emails via facebook.  Back online today. :)


As I was cruising the meat department for supper I noticed just how many different types of chicken were available and what prices were for the various types. I very rarely buy a whole chicken so I was amazed that they can be double digits. We paid barely a dollar for whole chickens back in the day. There also are “regular chickens”, organic chickens and free range chickens. I always chuckle to myself that free range is a new thing. That’s what chickens did on the farm when I was a kid all the time. They clucked around the country houses, and only went home to roost in the chicken house at night. Sometimes they had a big yard fenced in to roam in. A lot of us know that “yard eggs” have brighter yolks and better taste. Free range is more expensive, apparently because the chickens need more room to grow and eat.

While chickens that are free range are all the rage, there are two things we humans must never give free range to. We are instructed to give neither our hearts or our minds free range. Both will roam where they don’t belong and eat of things that will damage or destroy our faith. The Word tells us that the heart is deceitfully wicked. It’s prone to do it’s own thing based on emotions. To follow your heart might send you into harm’s way. Just because we want it doesn’t mean it’s good for us. Without the Word of God fencing us in, we will surely wander beyond God’s plan. It will indeed be expensive because wandering away from God’s will is costly for the believer, for their loved ones and even for their home congregation. A mind that wanders, free ranging, is open portal for the enemy to sow seeds of doubt, confusion, despair and misunderstandings. Once the seeds are sown they will take root and we will believe something that our mind convinces us is true.

God speaks to my heart. You belong to Me. I have penned you in with My love and I am watching over you to guard your heart and mind in Christ Jesus. When you wander, My voice woos you to return to the safety of the fold. You are free in the Son because He has set you free. The enticements of a worldly range beyond My care is dangerous. Just because it looks good does not mean it’s My will. As you feast on My Word and let Me guide you into safe pasture, you will grow in grace and knowledge. As you pray about everything you desire and what you want to do, I promise to guard your heart and your mind. While you are still free to roam wherever you want, it is in the obedience of faith in Me that you find your greatest blessings. The feast of the believer is found in My presence. While you are prone to wander, I am prone to mercy. You are mine and My protection will keep you safe all the days of your life.

Oh beloved, the grass is not always greener nor are the festivities going to make you happy outside God’s will. It is God’s Word that will strengthen you and keep you safe. Give God your heart and mind and read His Word daily so that you won’t wander into harm’s way. God’s plans for you are perfect. He even gives you instructions on where to go to find sustenance when you feel hungry, peace when you feel fretful, joy when you grieve and love when you feel uncared for. No other caretaker will ever give you what God gives you. You will never thirst again when you drink of the living water He gives generously. His love never fails, His mercy never runs out, His supernatural supply is never ending and His will is generous for you. He guards you but you are living in real freedom because the Son has set you free.

God loves you and He’s for you – no better place to live than right in the center of His will. Your heart or your mind might trick you, but the mind of Christ within you will keep you steady and fix your heart on Him, all the days of your life.

Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Psalm 16:8-9 I have set the Lord continually before me; because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.  Therefore my heart is glad and my glory rejoices; my flesh also will dwell securely.

Psalm 139:5-6 You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it.

Proverbs 4:23 Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.

John 10:9 I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.

No comments: