Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dreading Another Birthday? Not When Jesus Counts the Candles!


Today is my birthday! On this day in 1956, my parents, Peck and Helen Warren, ages 43 and 56, welcomed a baby girl into their life. My father’s only living child, it was pretty wonderful for him.  He loved to tell the story: “I was peering at you through the hospital nursery window and a nurse stopped by.” She asked him about his ‘grandbaby’. To which he replied, “She’s pretty grand, but I’m her Papa!” Both my parents insisted that having me at such late ages kept them young! Having raised my own brood of kiddos, I’m not so sure about that, but having older parents gave me real insight into the value of people, regardless of their age.

No one ever says “Hey, can’t wait till I’m 50+!” But arrive at this age I have. It’s hard to believe that I got here so quickly! If us baby boomers think about it, we could be really sad. Most of our years are behind us, by all standards of life expectancy. Health could start deteriorating at any moment. Lots of thoughts cross the minds of middle agers.

I choose to be grateful to God for another day in His marvelous plan of grace! I choose to live as a Kingdom participant knowing that God has a plan for my life! Knowing that my days are numbered gives me real peace, because I can learn to make my days count so that each one can be lived for something beyond myself. I have blessings coming out and going in. I am in Christ, so I am favored and honored to be His servant.

Oh beloved, the Truth is this: You are so precious to God! God has a very special plan for your life and it starts and ends with Him. He knew you before you were even a “glimmer” in your parents’ eyes. He knew you when you needed to come to Him for grace and forgiveness. He knew you when you walked through valleys and climbed harsh mountains. He was with you when you were young and full of energy. He has been with you each day as you faced sickness, dangers, toils and snares.  He will be with you when the end of your life on this earth appears. And for you who have put your trust in His Holy Name, He will welcome you into the rest of your eternal life in heaven! In the meantime, your life is in His hands and your faith walk is not only for you to survive, but to share and be an offering of love and encouragement to all who need a touch from the Master’s Hand.

Run to Him this morning and thank Him for every spiritual blessing that is your birth right. If you don’t know Jesus as your Lord and Savior, then ask Him into your heart this day! Even if you’re getting older, He can take all your days and make them more than wonderful for His Kingdom and glory and for your best. It’s never too late to start living the Real Life! And if you do ask Him to come into your heart, please let me know. I’d love to wish you Happy Birthday!

God loves you and He’s for you and that’s worth living in the light of His Word!

Colossians 3:3 For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God.

I Thessalonians 5:18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

Psalm 65:11 You crown the year with a bountiful harvest; even the hard pathways overflow with abundance.

No comments: