Thursday, January 03, 2013

Drop the Hurts and Pick up the Blessings!


I really enjoy a good cup of coffee.  As we were getting ready to head to our car the other morning, I grabbed one more for the road. It was cold and raining and I was holding onto Danny with one hand and my coffee with the other.  As I took off running to the car, the hot coffee began to splash! I decided the cup of coffee wasn’t worth burning my hand, so I dropped it!  Danny looked at me as I explained my predicament.  I laughed and so did he as we got into the car.

We are told by the Lord that He has given us freely all things to enjoy. But there are times when what we want to enjoy is going to burn us.  We can hold onto it and have the repercussions or we can let it go and get immediate relief. We cannot hope to be all that God has for us if we hold on to bitterness, anger, malice, wrath, or Unforgiveness.  Once we let those things go, we find such sweet relief. But we cannot merely drop them as I did the cup of coffee – we must hand them off to the Lord, where we find complete relief! He will give us something else to hold onto in their place.  Love, joy, peace, kindness, gentleness and more.

Oh beloved, it’s a new year! Don’t you think it’s time to drop those things that you can do nothing about? Those things that are burning your heart and giving you more bitterness and sorrow? God knows what you’ve been through. God knows who has hurt you, antagonized you and betrayed you. But He has a plan, through it all! And, if you will hand off your troubles and anguish to Him He’ll make it all good in His time! He loves you, beloved, and because of His great love, He will watch over you and keep you safe all the days of your life. 

Ephesians 4:31-32 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

Matthew 6:12  and forgive us our sins, as we have forgiven those who sin against us.

Matthew 11:28
Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest.

1 Peter 3:9 Don’t repay evil for evil. Don’t retaliate with insults when people insult you. Instead, pay them back with a blessing. That is what God has called you to do, and He will bless you for it.

No comments: