Thursday, January 10, 2013

Living on a Hamster Wheel? Meet With Jesus First.

Yesterday I found myself thinking I was meeting myself coming and going. It’s just so important to me to have time to sit and ponder without feeling that I must be doing something. Yet often doing things takes over. I have plenty to do, don’t you? There’s rarely an end to laundry, dishes, cleanup, work, driving, shopping, talking, etc. Every single one of these things is important to a successful productive life. But if they take over, or if we find ourselves getting our worth from activity, we may find that we’re in the hamster’s wheel and about to lose our footing! Then you and I dear heart, may find ourselves flopping at the bottom or getting stick beneath the wheel!

The hamster wheel for a believer can be comprised of many things. “If I do more, I’m more valuable”. “If more people see me being busy, more people will think I’m worth more”. “Taking time to rest is wasteful, so my worth is lowered”. So we huff and puff and wear ourselves out. Many times we allow others to control our wheel and as long as they push, urge, cajole and banter, we try to do more, more, more.

Lord, help us! Help us to remember to take time to meet with You at the start of every day so that we don’t continually meet ourselves coming and going! Not only that, when we meet with You Lord, we find that our energy is renewed for all the things we must accomplish! And Lord, you give us the urgings of Your Holy Spirit so that we don’t try to fulfill others’ wishes for us at our own hurt. Help us to remember to go to you when we find ourselves flagging in strength and becoming agitated with ourselves.

Oh beloved, God loves your faithfulness and hard work. He knows your needs and your hopes and desires. He also knows that you and He need time together. Won’t you take a moment this morning and just rest in His arms? You’ll never hear Him snapping orders at you or telling you to hurry up! He just wants to speak His Truth into your heart and the only way to do that is to spend time with Him. The Creator of the Universe desires time with His creation and you are one of His favorites! Hear that still small voice above the clatter of the wheel? It’s the Prince of your Peace and He’s calling you to rest in His never ending love and His unimaginable care!

Luke 10:40-42 But Martha was distracted by the big dinner she was preparing. She came to Jesus and said, “Lord, doesn’t it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work? Tell her to come and help me.” But the Lord said to her, “My dear Martha, you are worried and upset over all these details! There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.”

Isaiah 33:2 O Lord, be gracious to us; we have waited [expectantly] for You. Be the arm [of Your servants—their strength and defense] every morning, our salvation in the time of trouble. (AMP)

Psalm 91:1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

No comments: