Thursday, June 06, 2013

Are You In a Tight Spot?

Back in the 80’s my brother spent a lot of time caving throughout the limestone caves of his area in Texas. He still loves it, but as he says, “it’s a sport for young people” and “very dangerous”. When he began to talk about crawling through tight spots I began to feel claustrophobic! He even shared about the time he got stuck in a tight spot. Once his friend talked him through it, they came through to a massive open cavern full of wonder. Why would anyone want to edge their way through areas so tight they could get wedged in? I don’t know about you, but getting in a tight spot just doesn’t appeal to me. The thought of massive rock above and below, with no way to dig through, dig out or dig away just makes me feel like I’m suffocating. To think that anyone would choose to do that is beyond me.



I know sometimes the way of life seems broad and free. We breathe easily, we enjoy the beauty of creation and we admire the sky and all that surrounds us. Other times we find ourselves in a tight spot, either of our own making or that which is just part of life. We want to hold our breath, punch our way through and feel like we’re going to die! Panic sets in and we can’t go forward and we can’t go backward. We want to scream, but it only makes things worse. The situation we find ourselves in has us stuck. No one can hear us and no one can help us.


Thankfully for the believer, no matter what kind of spot we’re in or how we got there, we have someone who is always ready to move heaven and earth for us. We call out to Jesus and find He is already there! It might take some time to get dislodged from our circumstances, but all the way He leads us. His heavenly promises are there to guide us through like a light shining in the dark cavern of worry, fear, trouble, disappointment, cares and more. Unlike cavers, who rely on other people’s knowledge or their own wits, we have a Savior who watches over us. We have a God who is there to see us through. We have the Angel of the Lord encamping around us, when we fear only God!


Are you in a tight spot? You may be wondering how it could have happened. You took precautions, you calculated the risk, you kept yourself safe and yet here you are. Troubles surround you like boulders in a cave. Your heart is beating wildly because you don’t know what to do! You could be thinking you got yourself into this; you’ll have to get yourself out. Or you maybe pointing the blame at someone who put you in this position, hoping they get what they deserve. But that doesn’t help you does it?


Oh beloved, call out to the Lord! He is the One Who will answer when no one else hears. He is the One Who will set you free when no one else knows you are trapped. He is the One Who will deliver you from the tight spots of life. He will always answer! He will always come to your aid! He will always be willing! He never turns off His response system and He never refuses to help those who call on Him in spirit and truth. You can relax as you trust in His unfailing love. You can rest, even in the hard places, for He cares so very much for you!


Try Him today and let Him prove His love and care for you always! You are His beloved and He will stay with you through it all!


Psalm 86:6-7 Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; and give heed to the voice of my supplications! In the day of my trouble I shall call upon You, For You will answer me.

Psalm 118:5 When hard pressed, I cried to the LORD;He brought me into a spacious place.

Psalm 138:3 As soon as I pray, You answer me; You encourage me by giving me strength.

2 Samuel 22:20 He led me to a place of safety; He rescued me because He delights in me.

No comments: