Sunday, June 30, 2013

Looking for Refuge?


A few days ago a friend posted that it was a family anniversary. Just one year ago they were given the news that their daughter had lymphoma. They were broken hearted as their world literally stood still.  Yet one year later, they are rejoicing that the diagnosis, treatment and cure is behind them. Their daughter is healed and resuming her life –with her precious little girl and wonderful husband. She said in her post, “My life is forever changed and cherish the blessings we found along the way.” 

She’s not the only person who has been through trauma. Some of you are going through it even now. We have friends who have lost their lives in the battle. We have acquaintances who’ve struggled and hoped and prayed. Some were healed here, some were healed in heaven. But God gets all the glory. 

We don’t know what we’re really made of until life comes apart at the seams. We think that we are going to drown. We can’t breathe. We can’t talk or move. Our shoelaces are untied. Our slip is showing. Our heart is poured out everywhere. Our guts are writhing and we just want to run, but where? We want to quit breathing forever, but we can’t. We’re undone.  We are absolutely certain we won’t make it.

But God comes in. He steps into the situation, into our shoes and does the remarkable. He helps us. He stitches us back together with His truth. He resuscitates us with His presence. He speaks to our dry bones so they move again. He ties up our shoelaces, readjusts our demeanor and holds us tight – oh so tight!

Oh beloved, do you hear that? That’s God speaking! He’s saying to you this morning, listen beloved. I AM going before you into this situation and I AM going to walk you through it and back out again. Hear that? It is My Word comforting your fearful heart. Feel that? It’s My arm holding you up. It’s My hand guiding you down this narrow path of darkness and dread. See that? It’s My light shining in your presence so you can walk without stumbling, dance without music and leap without knowing what is ahead. I AM that I AM and because of that, you can trust Me no matter what you are going through. In the disappointment, in the sickness, in the bad news, in the valley of the shadow of death.  I will make your hard times, hard places and hard reports into a testimony of My love, My care and My faithfulness – no matter what.

God loves you, so what have you to fear, what have you to dread? God is for you, so let Him sew you up, pick you up and stand you up. Life is sure to have its ups and downs – way down at times. But with God, we can make it because regardless of what’s at the end of the tunnel, God is with us and that’s all that really matters anyway!

Isaiah 40:31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.  They will soar high on wings like eagles.  They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.

Psalm 112:7 They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them.

Psalm 23:4 Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for You are close beside me.

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on You!

Psalm 57:1 Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy! I look to You for protection. I will hide beneath the shadow of Your wings until the danger passes by.

No comments: