Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Are You on a Tightrope Walk of Faith?

I ran over to my daughters’ house Sunday night to watch the tightrope walk of Nik Wallenda across the Grand Canyon. For a person who is afraid of heights I found it quite harrowing to watch. I’ve also been to the Grand Canyon and what you see on tv pales in comparison to what you see in real life: so much more magnificent, deep and windy than you can imagine.




The Flying Wallendas began as a circus act of daredevil stunt performers, most known for performing high wire acts without a safety net for nearly a century. Most of us baby boomers watched them often on television. Not all of the Wallenda family performers survived their “talent”. Several of them fell to their deaths while executing various walks. Still, you just have to admire people who appear to do death defying acts.



As the most recent family member to attempt a walk across the Grand Canyon, this trip was a little different. There was a preacher praying with the family before he began his walk. Then, all during the walk across Nik prayed and talked with the Lord and spoke to the wind and the movement in the high wire. Obviously his faith was beyond his natural talent. It would have to be. Because even the best of daredevils can’t stop a fall once it’s begun. Mere talent never got anyone anywhere. But talent plus faith or even faith without talent – that’s something God can work with and we can survive with.



Most of us have experienced some type of tightrope adventure. We start out on level ground, walking surefooted and solid. Then something comes along and we find ourselves holding on for our lives. We go from sure ground to nothing beneath us! It’s harrowing. We experience sickness and don’t know if we’ll make it. We experience rejection and wonder what we’ve done. We experience sorrow, fear, surprises, and all the while we know the next gust of trouble will thoroughly blow us away in the tempest. We don’t know how to hold on, move on or remain standing. We might begin to think the trouble is so severe that letting go would be the answer.



Oh beloved, you may be in the tightrope walk of your life! You may have been thrown into it by circumstances you couldn’t control. But it’s no surprise to the Lord and it’s not meant to blow you away! It’s really a walk of faith when you put yourself in God’s hands. You are not out there alone, you are not left without a safety net and you are not going to fall! God speaks to your heart this morning and says Have Courage! I AM with you! Have Faith! I AM on your side! Have peace! I will go before you! Have rest! I AM the everlasting hands underneath your entire life! Walk through it with Me, walk on with Me, grow bolder, rest in faith, grow in grace and knowledge, while you overcome with Me!



God loves you and He’s for you and that, beloved, is all the safety net you will ever need!



Job 11:18 Having hope will give you courage. You will be protected and will rest in safety.



Psalm 11:1 I trust in the Lord for protection. So why do you say to me, “Fly like a bird to the mountains for safety!



Psalm 59:16 But as for me, I will sing about Your power. Each morning I will sing with joy about Your unfailing love. For You have been my refuge, a place of safety when I am in distress.



Proverbs 29:25 Fearing people is a dangerous trap, but trusting the Lord means safety.



Psalm 91:2 This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him.

No comments: