Monday, September 09, 2013

Dance with the One Who Loves You!


In the 50’s and 60’s Arthur and Kathryn Murray, famous dance teachers, danced across the television screen.  I was a very little girl and so loved to watch them, especially when they did the last waltz together for that week’s show. Each step was carefully executed with ease and grace. There are still Arthur Murray Dance Studios around, although the Murrays are no longer with us.  I know, I know,  I’m dating myself.

I have danced a lot of dances over the years. As a pre-teen there were some pretty crazy dances including the swim, the pony, the frug, the twist. Those dances were designed to do a lot of jumping and twisting and even if you had a partner you danced more independently. There have always been the waltzes that couple dances together. The only way to dance the beautiful waltzes is to let one partner lead. That partner is in control of the dance and you. You follow their step and whirl around the floor in perfect unison.

As I think back to that old show and those dance teachers of yesteryear, God speaks. I’ve had complete strangers want to come up to dance with me. They always want to take the lead. There’s been depression.  Disappointment, which shows up just as my expectations are not met.  Discouragement which likes to dance me around me life and show me all the messes and problems. Fear is another partner who tried to take the lead, trying to convince me I can’t move because it. All the partners of the world have come to the dance floor vying for my affections, trying to control my every step, managing to distract me for a time.

But one day there was One who came to the floor of my heart and life and asked to take me on the dance of my life. He instructed me that it would be like no other dance, it would be perfectly executed and I’d never miss a step with Him.

When you dance with the Lord everything changes! There’s no room for other dancers. They may try to come to the forefront, to get you off the mark, but they can’t as long as you hold tightly with the One Who loves you like no other. His dance is complete – it contains all the moves that you and I will ever need, dear heart, to dance through life.  His perfection is apparent as He keeps us smoothly waltzing across dangers, behind fears, over depression and on to new horizons of love, joy, peace, and more, oh so much more!

Who have you allowed to dance with you? Are you reeling from the effects of being in the arms of sorrow, depression, hurts, anger, fear, dejection, unforgiveness and more? They were enjoyable at first, but then you realized you are taken captive, in their snare.  Are you numb from the moves, but feel unable to change?

Oh beloved, Rejoice, for the King of Kings and Lord of Lord desires to enter the dance floor of your heart and wipe the place clean of competitors. He will take you by the hand, lead you into His presence, keep your heart and mind secure. He will remove all other distractions and give you the strength to keep on dancing with Him.

If you will focus on Him Alone, and let Him lead, He will love you, watch over you, guide you and protect you through the dance floor of life and keep you safe all the way to heaven where you’ll live with Him forever. Now that’s worth dancing in fields of grace with the One and Only all the rest of your days!

Lamentations 3:22-25 The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.  I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;   therefore, I will hope in Him!”  The Lord is good to those who depend on Him…

Deuteronomy 13:4 You shall follow the Lord your God and fear Him; and you shall keep His commandments, listen to His voice, serve Him, and cling to Him.

Psalm 121:3 He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.

Psalm 62:7 My victory and honor come from God alone. He is my refuge, a rock where no enemy can reach me.

No comments: