Monday, January 20, 2014

Broken Things in the Hand of a Restoring God

I love taking items that other people want to throw away and making them into something useful. One of the things that I saw at a friend’s house several years ago was a counter top made from broken china. I looked online recently for something like that and found some hanging wall art made the same way. They had various shapes but the one I liked the best was a heart. In the middle of that heart made of broken china was the word joy made of glass beads.

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. There are times when we feel utterly broken. There’s nothing that makes us feel useful or worthy. We’re done. And we’re undone.  Whether it’s at the hands of another or our own hands, brokenness comes from shattered dreams or dropped promises. Things happen and there’s a chip here and a chip there.  If we’re not careful those chips will add up and we’ll find ourselves ready for the trash heap. Totally broken and having no sense of worth. 

Trash to treasure. Nothing to something. Broken to beautiful. Worthless to worthwhile.

God speaks to my heart.  That’s what I do. I take what others consider trash, nothing, broken and worthless to redeem and make it all new. I repair the broken places of the heart and put a center of joy right in the middle. You are my treasured possession. It doesn’t matter to me who caused the brokenness – others or you. What matters to me is that I love you. And because I love you I see value in what others consider junk. I see significance in what you see as worthless. You are beautiful, even with the cracked edges and the jagged places of pain. I am for you, so I can even use those broken places in your life to make you more beautiful than ever.  You are mine and my prized possession. I will never cast you away and I will always treasure you. I will take what has happened and heal you for My use in the Kingdom of God. I sent My Son to pay for the repairs and the renewal, so you can trust My hand to reshape and remold and repair and redeem whatever happens.

Oh beloved!  Rejoice. Broken things in the hand of a restoring God become a thing of beauty. Your trash becomes God’s display of grace and mercy. You may believe you are a throw away but God says keep you. Every nuance of your life is an opportunity for God to heal you and set you on display for the world to see that you are valuable and a magnificent show of His glory! God knows your brokenness. He knows the pain and the anguish of it all. But He reminds you forever that He is able to make all grace abound to you. If you will give Him your broken things He will change it all into beauty as only He can. Trust Him and watch your life become a witness to all that God can do.
Man may break but God will remake.  You may be broken but God will restore you. And because He loves you and He’s for you He will make the new thing better than the former thing. He’ll make you better because His loving touch changes your heart as His touch always makes all things new for He fills all the empty spaces up with His hope and His heart.

2 Chronicles 20:12 We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You.  AMP

Psalm 31:14-15 But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord, I say, “You are my God.”  My times are in Your hand…

Psalm 147:3 He heals the brokenhearted And binds up their wounds.

Isaiah 54:5 For your husband is your Maker, Whose name is the Lord of hosts; And your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel, Who is called the God of all the earth.

Psalm 34:22 The Lord redeems the soul of His servants, And none of those who take refuge in Him will be condemned.


Deuteronomy 7: 6 For you are a holy people, who belong to the LORD your God. Of all the people on earth, the LORD your God has chosen you to be His own special treasure. NLT

No comments: