Thursday, January 09, 2014

Got a Mountain to Climb?


Danny loves Lord of the Rings in any form. We have watched all the movies. Most recently we watched the Hobbitt 2 at a little cinema in one of our favorite small towns. When the projector started up the screen vibrated and I could recall us as teenagers hollering out to fix it! We were so impatient back then. And we knew we could make noise and they’d adjust it. Not so here. The film jiggled a little throughout, but back to the story.

The other night I had a Hobbitt dream. I was crawling along a black jagged mountain, pretty high up in the air. It was dark and damp and everything was black including the clothes I had on. Everywhere I grabbed I heard the voice of the Lord say, “No not there. You can’t hold onto that. It won’t hold you, you will plummet to your death.” Everywhere I tried to “hang on” I was warned not to.

I woke up and heard God speak to my heart:  “It’s normal to want to hold onto familiar things when traveling through hard places. But holding onto those things will not be safe for you.  Grasping at anything that is subject to change puts you in peril. You’ll have to simply hang onto Me. Nothing else will do. No one else will do. You are on a trek like no other. But I am with you all the way and you will make it safely.”

I thought about that and remembered that in the dream I had no fear, just simply letting go when He spoke to do so. Now those who know me know that I am not a mountain climber so the fact that I was peaceful in the dream leads me to believe this was a learning moment between the Lord and me.  Which makes me believe that maybe someone else could learn from it as well.

Oh beloved, you too are on the trek of a lifetime. This is big stuff learning to climb the heights with the Lord. You know in your heart that you want to go wherever He leads and do whatever He says. Yet it’s scary letting go of things that you want to hold onto.  And sometimes it can be scary only holding onto Him. Is He enough? Will He be there for you? You want to know the outcome and see the hand holds ahead, but you only get each step of the way as you go.  But oh the knowledge of Him you will have when you reach your next destination! The Lord Himself is your stepping stone, your hand hold and your guiding light no matter how obscure the next move is. He is safety, peace, and trust.

God loves you, really completely loves you. And He’s for you, to guide you all the way, and that’s why you can listen as He instructs you all the days of your life.

Isaiah 48: 17 This is what the Lord says—your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: “I am the Lord your God,  who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow.

Habakkuk 3:19 The Lord God is my strength, And He has made my feet like hinds’ feet, And makes me walk on my high places.

Psalm 63:8 My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.

Psalm 20:7 Some boast in chariots and some in horses, But we will boast in the name of the LORD, our God.


 Isaiah 41:13 “For I am the Lord your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, ‘Do not fear, I will help you.’

No comments: