Sunday, January 19, 2014

There is Help in the Midst of it All


A few days ago one of our friends posted that he was in his office early in the morning and heard a rumble and felt the house shake. His daughter, who had been asleep, was suddenly up and fearful. They weren’t sure what had happened.  Turns out it was an earthquake! We hear lots of horror stories from California and other countries but Arkansas? They happen occasionally but a magnitude of nearly 3.0 makes for quite a shaking.

While the shaking of their house was only momentary, they’ve been in a shakeup of a much bigger magnitude. His beloved was ill for some time and she was called home to heaven just a few months ago. A huge gap has been left in their lives. Our friend knows the Lord and He knows where she is, but the shaking of his life still has tremors. It may be a while before things settle and probably only when he gets to heaven will he feel completely steady again. But he knows where his strength lies and we pray daily for him to hang onto that strength.

There are all kinds of earthquakes that come into our lives.  Just as we can’t predict the geological kind, we cannot predict the appearance of the shakeups that we endure. We cannot fully prepare for how we will feel during the shakeup either.  When we are in the middle of the sensations of trouble we feel that we will be thrown to the ground. We wonder if the roof will fall in or if we will be overwhelmed. After the initial quake, there often comes a tidal wave of emotions. What do we do? Where can we go? Why did this happen? Who will help? Will it ever end?

God speaks to our hearts. He speaks words of love and affirmation to us as He steadies our hearts in the midst of the panic. I AM the one who will see you through. Not just this quake, but all tremors that want to send your heart into your throat. Your panic is my opportunity to speak peace into your life.  I have no desire to ruin your life. My only desire is that each time you feel the earth move and hear the rumble of turmoil you will turn to Me.  Life is temporary and often it holds hard times that want to shake the foundation of your faith. But I will never let you be destroyed.

Oh beloved, some of the things that we go through have huge magnitude on our lives. They are literally earth shattering. And yet God’s promises remain unshaken.  Precious one, if you will look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of your faith, and put your hand in His, He will walk you through the quakes and beyond the rubble.  Just as earthquakes don’t last forever, neither do hard times. You cannot let your earthly circumstances disable you spiritually. Trust God no matter what. Run to Him for He is your only place of ultimate safety. God will not only get you through, He will make you stronger. And your strength will help others through the earthquakes they go through. Speak often of God’s redeeming grace and rehearse His promises in the midst of the overwhelming tide.

God loves you and He’s for you. And His promises can be trusted as you stand in the midst of whatever happens in life, knowing that God will never let anything overtake you. You are safe in His arms always.

Psalm 121:2 My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth.

Psalm 40:17 Since I am afflicted and needy, Let the Lord be mindful of me. You are my help and my deliverer; Do not delay, O my God.

Psalm 94:17 If the Lord had not been my help, My soul would soon have dwelt in the abode of silence.

Psalm 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, And Your right hand will save me.

Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I will put my trust in You.

Isaiah 41: 10 Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, surely I will help you, Surely I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.'

Psalm 46: 1-3,11 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth should change and though the mountains slip into the heart of the sea; though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains quake at its swelling pride. The Lord of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our stronghold.

No comments: