Thursday, February 07, 2013

Heights to Conquer? You Don't Have to Go it Alone!


One of the things I noticed while we were visiting the Vicksburg National Park was how many stairs there were. Lots of stairs at many of the monuments. But we came to one tall round building with a gold eagle perched atop and I just stared.  I thought about those flights of stairs and I just told Danny I would let him go look. I don't like stairs and I don't like heights, so when faced with thirty feet of rising granite, I just didn't want to go.  So I stood at the sidewalk below admiring my husband who, at 64, still takes stairs in his stride. I would let him go for both of us. He can look at the interior and admire the view from up there for me, too.


Trouble with that is my husband is also an encourager! As soon as he went inside the round building, he began exclaiming, "Oh wow!" and "You gotta see this!" He came back outside and shouted down that I had to climb the stairs for this.  Of course even in my trepidation, I started up, gingerly holding onto whatever I could. I called out to him, "You have to meet me halfway. I hate stairs!"
 

Down my valiant husband came, to hold my hand, encourage me upward and tell me I could do this. All the while I was thinking to myself, just keep your eyes on the stairs. Don’t look down and don’t look around.  I was also sure I didn't want to think about the climb back down!

 
Once inside the building, I was astonished! Yes, it was well worth the fear, the stumbling, and the mumbling.  I spoke and my voice echoed in ricochets off the granite walls. Up above, about 6 stories was a huge opening where the sky could pour its light into the dark dampness. Every soldier from that state had his name proudly stamped in brass along the walls. Nothing else was inside.

 

As we stepped back out into the air, I was also astonished at the magnificent view! We could see the entire battlefield below - both sides with their now immovable cannons. From this outlook, we could truly grasp the vastness of it all and how beautiful this area was. 

I breathed quickly, grabbed hubby's hand and we walked back down together.  Only this time it was lighter steps I took because my fears had given way to beauty.

 Oh beloved, are you looking at something you're not sure you can conquer? Are you faced with an insurmountable task and wondering if you really want to do it?  Rejoice!  God has gone before you! He has trudged those stairs, covered that task and overcome that fear. Even when no one is there to hold your hand, God will hold you securely. You are never alone, you never have to face adversity or trouble  without help. He will always be with you, and He will always hold your hand.  And when you've overcome and He shows you the view, you will weep for joy as you realize just how wonderful your God really is! 
 You can be sure that whether you are in the valley or facing the high places, He loves you and He's for you and that's all that really matters.

 2 Samuel 2:33-34  God is my strong fortress, and He makes my way perfect.   He makes me as surefooted as a deer, enabling me to stand on mountain heights.

Psalm 121:1-2 I look up to the mountains -- does my help come from there?  My help comes from the LORD, who made the heavens and the earth!  He will not let you stumble and fall; the One who watches over you will not sleep.

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. KJV

Psalm 63:7 Because You are my helper, I sing for joy in the shadow of Your wings.

No comments: