Saturday, February 02, 2013

You Can Find Sweet Rest


I’ve been having a little trouble sleeping lately. Not a big deal, but I can’t seem to sleep through the night without waking up, sometimes for an hour or so.  I’m not upset or overly thinking about anything, just wide awake.  I am ready to sleep all night again!  With a music app on my phone I have been known to turn it to praise and worship, put it under my pillow and listen.  Doesn’t take long for me to be back asleep.  Soft, soothing music is good for my spirit and helps me slip back into dream land.

Rest is imperative for the human body. Without comfortable solid sleep, the day ahead can get weary. We may find ourselves grumpy or even find our joints and back sore. Wrestling with the bed to get settled in just right is tiring.  Being too hot or too cold will also cause discomfort and wakefulness. There are a lot of outside elements that make or break good sleep.  Rest makes for clearer thinking, better outlooks and more stamina to make it through the day.  I remember my mother telling me, when my kiddos were babes and sometimes didn’t sleep good, “If a mother can get a good night’s sleep, she can handle pretty much anything during the day.”  So, so true.

Believers need rest too. Faith rest is absolutely important for the spirit of a believer. If you fret and worry and carry the burdens of the previous day, you’ll find yourself oh so tired.  If you go to bed with baggage, either yours or what others put on you, and you don’t lay it aside  you will stay fatigued.  With spiritual fatigue comes physical fatigue. Weariness of heart makes for a weary mind which makes for a weary body.  Unless a child of God learns how to rest, they’ll be perpetually tired. They won’t be able to handle the day’s events – upsets, sorrows, discouragement, and more. It will just snowball and you’ll find yourself wakeful, fretful and tired.

Oh beloved, are you need to rest?  Are you handle all your problems alone? Run to the Lord, who wants to take your burdens, who wants to give you the rest you so need, who wants to bless you with comfort and peace! Seek His Word and see – He promises to give rest to you.  He promises to take your burdens and carry them. He promises give you every answer to every problem, so that you don’t have to wrestle with them! Beloved, you do not have to carry everyone’s problems either. Just carry them to the Lord in prayer and rest in the promise of His answer as well!

God loves you and He’s always with you, working things out for you and those you love, so you can rest! Resting in His promises is your birthright and His delight. And that’s all that really matters.

 

Psalm 91:1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

Isaiah 30:15a This is what the Sovereign Lord, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength.…”

Matthew 11:29 Take My yoke upon you. Let Me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

Psalm 4:8 In peace I will lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.

Psalm 62:5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him. (NIV)

Exodus 33:14 And He said, “My presence shall go with you, and I will give you rest.”

No comments: