Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Under His Wings is Your Refuge


I have always loved chickens. From the time as a little girl watching my uncle feed them to being an adult and having a few of my own.  A friend of my parents gave my kids a bantam hen and rooster back in the day.  The hen had a passel of chicks. She and the rooster were black as coal and the baby chicks were too. They were fun to watch and fun to listen to. She had different voices for different events. Often you could hear her cooing quietly. At that sound they would run up to her and gather under her wings. She took incredible care of those babes of hers.

One day we had a dangerous visitor.   I was in the house and I heard a hawk calling nearby.  I looked out the window as the mother hen began cackling loudly and running everywhere!  I raced outside to run the hawk off and found only the mother hen.  It appeared that every one of her babies was lost to the hawk’s wily abilities.  I was just sad as I returned inside the house to finish up whatever chore I was involved in.

Sometime later I was sitting at the window resting and watching the beautiful woods in our back yard. I could hear the mother hen still talking softly from underneath the back porch.  I guessed she was missing her babies as much as I was. Suddenly baby chicks appeared from nowhere!  They popped out from under the thick bed of leaves at the back of the yard.  They ran over to their mother, who once again gathered them up under her wings and spoke soft mother hen talk to them.

I was amazed. That mother hen had instructed her babies to hide! And when time had passed and the danger was gone, she called them out from the safety of the leaves. What looked like a disaster was simply the love of a mother protecting her babies.

Oh beloved, are you having a hard time? Are you wondering how you got in trouble, got left out alone, got in danger or worse? Are you wondering if you will ever feel protected, safe and secure again? Maybe you’re sure that no one will ever rescue you or keep you safe. God sees your life and He knows every detail, from the mistakes you make to the transgressions that come against you. He is the One Who has kept you all these years and He is the One Who will see you safely home! Trust Him this morning, for under His wings is your refuge. Look to His Word as your guidance for under His Banner is your safety. Because of His incredible love for you He will never fail you or forsake you and on that alone you can rely!

Psalm 91:4 He will cover you with His feathers. He will shelter you with His wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.

Psalm 36:7 How precious is Your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of Your wings.

1 Samuel 2:9 He will protect His faithful ones, but the wicked will disappear in darkness. No one will succeed by strength alone.
Psalm 138:7 Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will protect me from the anger of my enemies. You reach out Your hand, and the power of Your right hand saves me.

No comments: