Friday, February 08, 2013

Looking for Easy Street?


My dad always had a comfortable chair. Before recliners it was an overstuffed swivel rocker.  Easy chairs they were called back then. Eventually he had a recliner.  Nobody sat in daddy’s chair. LOL.  His comfort was most important to him.

We all want easy chairs don’t we? Somewhere we can call our own to kick back and relax. We want to feel great and have no worries. Living the life, having it all, resting on easy street…

For most folks, life is just a little left of Easy Street, and not quite like living in an Easy Chair. Problems abound, and they’re coming more and more often. We’re giving up the good life of our ancestors for the “me” life of our present lifestyles. We try to get more and more comfortable with ourselves and yet find that we aren’t any happier as we get more, do more and be more.

If you are one of those whose life is left of Easy Street, then you know what I’m talking about. Less cash than bills. Less love than needed.  Less things than wanted. Less courage, less joy, less victory. You look at what others have and do and you wonder how they ever got so ahead of you.

I know you want things to be easy but things don’t always go as planned. Even when you do the right thing and attempt to do your level best to live for Jesus, things can go oh so wrong. Maybe it’s time to quit looking for a comfy spot to get away, and begin seeking for a strong spot to stand.

Oh beloved, run to the Comfort of God’s Word! Rest in the Promises of Christ! Relax in the Joy of the Lord! God says to you this morning, “I have this”. The life you want so badly, if you will just take a moment to look to Me and take your eyes off others, I will show you deep and beautiful things I have for you, just you.  Even when you can’t see what others are going through, believe Me, they have their own load to bear and they too are looking for an easy chair, an easier life and easier road. In fact, it is only in finding rest in Me Alone, that you find what you are really looking for.

Follow God always beloved. Get His Word deep down into your heart and let its roots take hold. For you will find that while things aren’t always easy, life in Christ is good – oh so good! Because the Lord Himself loves you and the King of the Universe is for you and that makes for comfort and joy in spite of it all.

 

Psalm 119:50 This is my comfort in my affliction, That Your word has revived me.

Psalm 62:1 My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him.

Psalm 146:5 But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God.

Psalm 34:5 Those who look to Him for help will be radiant with joy; no shadow of shame will darken their faces.

Micah 7:7 As for me, I look to the Lord for help. I wait confidently for God to save me, and my God will certainly hear me.

No comments: