Thursday, May 09, 2013

God is All You Need on the Highway of Life


Although my parents were on the road a lot when I was young, I never really went very far.  They traveled farther after I was grown and married. Until I was 50 years old I’d never been farther north than St. Louis, father east than Vicksburg, farther west than Sweetwater, TX and farther south than the Mexican border town of Matamoras. I had never been more than a day from home and never stayed away from home more than a few days. 

As we took our first trip, I pored over travel books, information brochures and maps. I didn’t want to miss a thing! The only problem was that there was more to see than we had time.  We couldn’t stay in the same place for more than 2 days. We had to move on.

While I thought at times we had taken the wrong road, we found wonderful delightful surprises everywhere we went! But sometimes I thought I had probably missed something on the road we didn’t take. What if’s would surface and I’d get in a foul mood.

You know you can overthink things and then you’re so busy thinking about what you may have missed that you can’t enjoy what’s right in front of you.  So I didn’t see the Big Tex statue in Amarillo. But I did get to ride through a herd of buffalo with my hubby on a motorcycle! I may have missed the Florida coast, but I got to meet a member of the Marshall Tucker Band on a motorcycle, who rode along with us and shared his faith!

I know there are so many choices in the world. Some of them have been made for us. Some we have made that we wish we hadn’t. Some are good choices, but we wonder could we have done better? Some were poor choices, bad roads full of potholes and road gators. We could just sit on the side of the road and bemoan the choice but then we’d get nowhere would we?

Oh beloved, you were meant to travel beyond the realm of your own making! You were meant to soar higher than the eagles, leap over walls and scale the mountains. But you can’t get there if you are worried about missed opportunities and past mistakes! Drop the load beloved and run to God’s Word to see what He says about you. He speaks with joy and love – He says to you this day I AM your road guide. I AM your way maker. I AM the redeemer of your past, the restorer of your day and the planner of your future! If you will let Me, I will make all things new. 

Don’t look back. Nobody can change a thing about the past. Let it all go and watch as God makes all things new especially for you – because He loves you and He’s for you and that’s all you need on the highway of life.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life [which is] in Christ Jesus [the law of our new being] has freed me from the law of sin and of death. (Amplified)

Luke 12:28 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, He will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?

I John 3:19-20 By this we shall come to know (perceive, recognize, and understand) that we are of the Truth, and can reassure (quiet, soothe, and pacify) our hearts in His presence, Whenever our hearts, in tormenting self-accusation, make us feel guilty and condemn us. For we are in God’s hands. For He is above and greater than our consciences (our hearts), and He knows (perceives and understands) everything [nothing is hidden from Him]. 

Lamentations 3:22-23 The faithful love of the LORD never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning.

No comments: