Tuesday, May 07, 2013

To Know God is to Love Him!

I was born in the bobbie socks era. My brother was 13 years old and I had many cousins who were teenagers. Because I followed them around every chance I got, I listened to their music. One song that keeps coming to mind this morning is “To Know Him is to Love Him” which was the number one hit single in 1958.
Such a soothing song and I can still see the girls with poodle skirts or rolled up jeans swaying to the lilt of the tune. It’s always good to reminisce about how special love is, especially young love. And to know that the object of our affection is so perfect and so worthy of our love makes those old songs even more meaningful.
Did you know that to know the Lord is to love Him? If you spend a lot of time with Him and you read about Him in the Word, you will find it so true. Every single attribute He has is founded in His love. Every single thought He has about us is pure love.  Every plan He has for our loves is planned with perfect love.
Unlike human love, which can wax and wane depending on the feelings of the one who loves or the recipient of that love, God’s love is independent of our worthiness, perfections or abilities. We may be an awesome person, but that’s not why God loves us.  We may have lots of problems, but not one of them causes God to denounce His love for us.
Oh beloved, run to the shelter of His loving arms this morning and read of His unending devotion!  He speaks to you and calls you out of your own darkness into His own Light, so that you don’t just survive, but you will flourish under His guardian care. He says to you this morning, I know you completely and I love you eternally. Before the foundation of the world, before there was a sky or a planet or a star in orbit, I loved you. I have a perfect plan for your life. Won’t you get to know Me better by spending more time with Me? I AM perfect love, I AM your perfect Savior, I AM the way, the truth and the life. By letting Me love you, you will find complete trust and adoration. Together we will conquer your fears, overcome your sins, go beyond your feelings and live in eternity forever. 
God loves you without any conditions and He’s for you through it all, and that’s all you will ever really need. 
Jeremiah 31:3 Long ago the Lord said to Israel: “I have loved you, My people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love I have drawn you to Myself.
1 Thessalonians 1:4 We know, dear brothers and sisters, that God loves you and has chosen you to be His own people.
Jude 1:1 …I am writing to all who have been called by God the Father, who loves you and keeps you safe in the care of Jesus Christ.
Psalm 119:64 O Lord, Your unfailing love fills the earth; teach me Your decrees.
Psalm 9:10 Those who know Your name trust in You, for You, O Lord, do not abandon those who search for You.

No comments: