Thursday, May 30, 2013

Keep in Touch with Your Best Friend!


Yesterday I had a real treat at lunch. I met at a local restaurant with one of my oldest and dearest friends. That in itself would be wonderful. But I had a double delight. We were joined by one of my newest friends! My “old” friend and my “new” friend are friends, so that just made it extra special. It was a wonderful visit. The food was so good. But the fellowship, now that was out of this world.

We talked about pets, friends, homes, and the Lord. We laughed and reminisced and found out more about one another. We caught up on things and shared important information – some things we can pray about for one another. It was all good.

The encouragement of the saints is such a spiritual and eternal delight. Without friends in the faith, it would be hard to make it. Their testimonies, their words of encouragement, their commitment and their joy spread from one to another like the wind fans flames. I feel refreshed, renewed and recommitted to taking more time for these little visits.

Even the Bible tells us that we need one another. In these days, when everyone is doing whatever they want, when Christians and their beliefs are being made fun of and ignored or cursed, it’s very comforting to have real friends.

If things were to change tomorrow and for one reason or another we could no longer visit I would be sad. I can’t predict what might happen, but I know the One who holds us in His hands. And I know the One who has caused our fellowship to be so sweet. I can trust Him to be my friend when others walk away or move away or pass away. Whatever the circumstances are, it is enough to know that God promises to be with us always.

Oh beloved, maybe you’re yearning for the sweet fellowship you once had. You long for the old days when friends remained friends forever and most everyone held the same values, hopes and ideals. God cannot promise you that you can return to your childhood world, but He does promise that in Him you can find all the joy, comfort and delight you need. He is your encouragement in sorrow. He is your joy in troubled times. He is your constant companion, no matter who comes into your life or who walks out. He promises to be with you always and to keep in fellowship with you by His Spirit and by His Word. He is a friend who lives forever, He is a confidante who never gives up, He is the King who will never turn you away from His kingdom!

Your very best Friend loves you and He’s for you and that’s worth keeping in touch!

Philemon 1:6 …and I pray that the fellowship of your faith may become effective through the knowledge of every good thing which is in you for Christ’s sake.

Proverbs 27:9 Oil and perfume make the heart glad, so a man’s counsel is sweet to his friend.

Psalm 16:8 I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me.

Hebrews 10:22-23 Let us go right into the presence of God with sincere hearts fully trusting Him. For our guilty consciences have been sprinkled with Christ’s blood to make us clean, and our bodies have been washed with pure water. Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep His promise.

No comments: