Saturday, December 08, 2012

A Life in Christ is Beautifully Decorated!


A couple of nights ago I posted a photo of Stella on facebook looking intently at our Christmas tree. She had come over to visit for a couple of hours. She was actually asleep when her mom brought her, but as soon as they got out of the driveway Stella was up! As usual, when she enters our living room she begins, “Woo! Woo!” She LIKES our tree! Diona says she doesn’t mess with theirs, but for some reason she just can’t keep her hands off of the tree at our house.

Someone commented on the photo, “Don’t you wonder what’s on her mind?” So now you get the rest of the story.  Stella had gone to the tree, over on the back side so I couldn’t see her.  But I could hear her talking to it. So I said very quietly, “no no”. She came around the tree a few steps and stopped again, putting her hand out, talking quietly to herself and then looking at me.  She inched around the huge base of the tree and with every few steps, she repeated the motions of talking, wanting to touch, me saying “no no” and her putting her hand down. 

By the time the photo was taken she was intently spying a little wooden soldier hanging from a lowest branch. She kept looking towards me, but finally she could no longer resist and she quickly plucked the soldier from the tree.  I no longer wanted to say “no no”, so I watched as she turned it around in her tiny little hands and talked to it. Content that she had finally got to touch the tree, she laid him down and walked away to play elsewhere. She was happy that she had experienced what she so wanted!

We raise our children so well on “no” that there are even manufactured t-shirts that state “My Name is Not No No!”  It’s not our intention to squelch the wonder and miracle of those first exciting experiences, but we have to keep order and we really do. We can’t just let them tear up things. Without order there’s chaos. But watching Stella first go around the tree, talk to herself about it, reach out tentatively and then touch the tree, ever so gently, to pluck that soldier from its boughs reminds me.

This reminds me of that first touch of Christ on my life. I knew I was forever changed. I knew things were going to be different. I also knew that I had wanted order and neatness in my life.  Touching Christ was messy. It was going to shake up my world. Not everyone would understand this newfound love of my life. Not everyone would want to tag along or experience Him with me. I even heard a few “no no’s”.

Oh beloved, as you wake up this morning I pray that you will let yourself go and let yourself experience fully ALL that is offered from God through Christ! Just as the splendor of Christmas trees are decked out all around us, a life in Christ is a decorated life like no other, with the light of life shining out for all to see and be drawn to. He is the light of the world! He is the Creator of the Universe! He is the giver of the blessings! All of it is for you! Go ahead, reach out and touch Him for He is risen and He is calling you. He always calls you with love, He never says no, don’t touch Me for He delights in even a touch of the hem of His garment! He knows you because He created you to be a shining example of His glorious mercy and grace. He’s for you and He created you to be a living illustration of His wonderful blessings and care. Hallelujah! What a Savior!

Ephesians 4:24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.

John 1:16 For out of His fullness (abundance) we have all received [all had a share and we were all supplied with] one grace after another and spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing and even favor upon favor and gift [heaped] upon gift. (Amplified)

Psalm 4:7 You have given me greater joy than those who have abundant harvests of grain and new wine.

2 Corinthians 4:6 For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.

John 16:24 You haven’t done this before. Ask, using My Name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.
Ephesians 3:19-21 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God. Now all glory to God, who is able, through His mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think. Glory to Him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen

No comments: