Thursday, December 06, 2012

In His Presence is Peace!


Fall is one of my favorite times of year. I love the reds, browns and golds of the season. I can observe the beautiful leaves as I drive onto our street, with the large oak trees lining the lawns, including ours. Each day I’ve noticed how the colors get more and more vivid. From the green hues of summer to pale yellows of early fall to the brightest autumn colors. Oak and sweet gum leaves are aflame with color.  The view is always so nice.

As I drove into our street yesterday afternoon I was surprised to notice a big change in the view. Ankle deep leaves now line the street while most of the trees are pretty bare. The season has changed again and it’s beginning to look like winter. The stark reality was colder and less welcoming. I remembered that my home was filled with light and warmth and color. I couldn’t wait to get inside and gaze at our lovely Christmas tree and rest.

Life can change in an instant, just like the seasons. One day you’re enjoying the beautiful view and all is well. The next day things can change. The outlook can go from pleasant and enjoyable to stark and cold in the blink of an eye. Outside there are troubles, dangers, temptations, and more. Hurts and anguish can totally replace the warmth of former days. Our reliance on the world around us becomes very apparent when it all goes south. That’s when we long for the warm fire of our home and the familiar smells and sights that bring us great comfort.

God spoke to my heart. The Christian life has seasons as well. When life goes into winter mode and we find nothing pleasant in the view and our hearts are cold from the troubles, we seek for solace somewhere. As soon as we go into the house of God, into His presence, we are relieved. Things outside of His presence may not change quickly or ever, but God’s presence is the only thing we really need to fulfill the longing of our hearts. His warmth is ever present, His truth is full of the colors of His personality and essence and we find that in basking in Him we are not only revived, we are strengthened for the next day.

Oh beloved, run to the Lord! Rest in His promises! Seek out His loving presence. He’s calling you to come in out of the weather and sit with Him. Relax in all that He is. He is greater than your troubled world, He is full of warmth. All you need, absolutely everything, is met in Him. It may be winter in your life, but in His presence it’s lovely!  Gaze into His Wonderful Face and rest in Him. His love will warm you all the days of your life and His comfort and care will cause you to forget your surroundings as you concentrate totally on Him.  He takes your ordinary problem filled days and makes them Holy as He consecrates your life to Himself! Thank Him today for He is your refuge and source of blessings always.

Psalm 43:3-5 Send out your light and your truth; let them guide me.  Let them lead me to your holy mountain, to the place where you live.  There I will go to the altar of God. To God—the source of all my joy. I will praise you with my harp, O God, my God!   Why am I discouraged?  Why is my heart so sad? I will put my hope in God!  I will praise Him again— my Savior and my God!

2 Corinthians 1:3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.

Psalm 31:20 You hide them in the shelter of your presence, safe from those who conspire against them. You shelter them in your presence, far from accusing tongues.

Psalm 91:1 Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

No comments: