Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Road "Best" Traveled


I love back roads, especially those out of the way highways where the bows of trees on each side of the road mingle above my head. Danny and I have spent a lot of time on back roads, mostly to view the beauty and majesty of nature. I even put a photo of just such a road on my phone so I could think about those beautiful roads.  I noticed that there is a word printed on the pavement: SLOW and then PREPARE TO STOP.  It reminded me that we drivers are directed by many signs. YIELD comes to mind because frankly people in our town rarely yield! Then there are Red Lights, Caution Lights, Train Lights and more. One of the signs I always get tickled about is “LAKE AHEAD!”  For sure you want to watch that one, otherwise you’ll take a swim you won’t like.

I am reminded that when my parents traveled they always held hands in the car and said, “God go with us.”  It is still comforting to know my parents asked God’s divine help before every trip. We passed that along to our own family when we traveled.

We have to learn to discern what each word on the pavement means for we have to know what we’re supposed to do. Arrows pointing one way mean for us to go that way. Occasionally you will find a driver who has gotten confused and they are headed into oncoming traffic! It’s scary because who knows when they will discover their problem and try to overcorrect. Other signs require slowing down to the speed limit. Curve signs warn us to prepare to make negotiations to keep from having an accident. All in all, though our highway system is full of signs, it’s for our safety and we’re glad they are there.

Are you heeding the signs? Are you watching to make sure you’re obeying God’s limits and going the right direction?  Do you watch for oncoming issues that might cause you a problem? Are you staying calm when others make mistakes or do you find yourself having a moment of road rage? Do you stop when others want to go ahead of you? Are you obeying the laws of the land and doing your best to be a safe driver on the road of life?

Oh beloved, God has a wonderful road for you to travel. He makes every effort to guide you safely. He has warning signs in His Word to keep you on the right road. He also reminds you to keep close to Him so that you remain on the road and aren’t cut off from His plan. Occasionally He will tell you to slow down or prepare to stop. Don’t argue with God! He’s your Sovereign Lord and Savior and He truly knows what’s best. 

Your life can be oh so good and by just following Him closely and obeying His directions you will feel the safety of His care. He loves you so much that He wants to guide you all the way to  heaven and He’s for you so that you can trust the roads He puts you on and the signs He gives you along the way. Ride safely in this life for you are Precious Cargo to the Lord!

  

 Psalm 32:8 The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life.  I will advise you and watch over you.”

Psalm 27:11  Teach me how to live, O Lord. Lead me along the right path, for my enemies are waiting for me.

Proverbs 20:24 The Lord directs our steps, so why try to understand everything along the way?

Psalm 25:12 Who are those who fear the LORD? He will show them the path they should choose.
(photo chosen is from my phone  courtesy of Zedge wallpapers for Android phones)

No comments: