Sunday, July 07, 2013

As Long as I Have Breath


A couple of weeks ago we traveled with one of our grandsons, a granddaughter and her friend to a nearby festival. We decided to ride up the scenic mountain near there. We’ve driven up that mountain for quite a while, but the last two times we’ve gone on the scenic tour, we’ve had the same granddaughter and grandson with us.

Some of you may remember the story of the prayer for a bear. How I prayed out loud for God to let us see a bear and there she was right around the next corner! I shared that day with my grandchildren how they had living proof that God answers prayer and that will need to remember that all of their lives. If they ever had a need they knew that God would answer, because they experienced it!

Well, up we were on this mountain again. As the teenagers in the back seat were yacking and laughing, I was having another talk with the Lord. I wanted to ask to see another bear, but I didn’t want to be pushy. After all we’d seen one. Did I really want to ask to see another one? Did I really believe He might answer the same request twice?

I asked our granddaughter’s friend if she’d ever seen a bear in the wild and got a resounding no. They kept yacking and I kept wrangling with myself and with the Lord. Finally I leaned towards my hubby who was driving and prayed, “Lord, I know I’ve asked before, but we’d like to see a bear again today. Taylor’s never seen one.”

You guessed it! There he was right in the middle of the road! How good is God!? Taylor got to see a bear in the wild. God answered the same prayer again! I had been bold enough to ask in faith and God provided the answer.

How do I feel about it? I felt God speaking: you can always ask Me for anything because I AM the answer to your prayers. Even if you’ve asked for it and gotten it before, I still answer the same prayer over and over.”

Did I get instant answers to prayer? Twice? Yes and no. Here’s the thing most folks don’t know. I’d been looking for a bear on that mountain for over 40 years. That’s right. Praying, wishing, hoping…since the first time in 1973 we went over that road, I’ve been watching.  Why now? Why twice in two years?

Because God wants to show His children that they never have to shy away from asking, they never have to say they’ve asked enough, they never have to quit asking, quit seeking, quit knocking. In this case an instant answer was also an answer to continual requests for many years.

Oh beloved, the Lord loves you! And because He loves you He delights in giving you the desires of your heart. He won’t ever disappoint you, even when it seems your prayers go unanswered. Keep seeking His face, for it is the face of love. Keep looking for the answer! Keep waiting for the miracle, the provision, the blessing, the redemption…Whatever it is beloved, whatever you need, wherever you are, God hears you. He’s not deaf, He’s not indifferent, and He’s not aloof. He’s your All Sufficient Lord and He’s got your prayers in His hands and the answers on the way.

Rejoice when you talk with the Father, because it’s His good pleasure to converse with you and to bless you beyond your wildest imagination. God loves you and He’s for you and that’s what makes all the difference when you pray.

Psalm 116:1-2 I love the Lord because He hears my voice and my prayer for mercy.  Because He bends down to listen, I will pray as long as I have breath!

Psalm 18:6 But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from His sanctuary; my cry to Him reached His ears.

Matthew 7:7-8 Keep on asking and it will be given you; keep on seeking and you will find; keep on knocking [reverently] and [the door] will be opened to you.  For everyone who keeps on asking receives; and he who keeps on seeking finds; and to him who keeps on knocking, [the door] will be opened.

Isaiah 55:6 Seek the LORD while you can find Him. Call on Him now while He is near.

I Thessalonians 5:16-18 Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

No comments: