Tuesday, July 09, 2013

"Call Me Back, God!"


One of my daughter’s friends shared this cute story about her youngest son. While they were eating out, very seriously on his play phone, holding one ear to 'hear better' he says: "Hello? I need help to get out of this place. In your name, Amen." He promptly hangs up. Then he hesitates, picks his phone back up and quickly says: "call me back!"

It’s a cute anecdote. But it makes me think of my own prayer life. How many times have I quickly shot off a request to God as though ordering from a menu. Life is busy and I want God to “call me back”. But how will I hear if I’m too busy to stop and listen?

We can talk to God anytime, anywhere, even in the middle of our busy lives. But is that enough time with God? And is He a fast food Savior in a pass through? We spout our order out to Him and as an afterthought we may say, “Oh yeah, Lord, You want to reply?”

God’s ear is open to our hearts 24/7. No closing time and special orders don’t upset Him. The only thing is we can’t have it our way. And the only way to have it His way is to spend some quality time with Him. If our prayer life is simply a quick phone call to heaven and asking for a response tersely, will that suffice? Will we be fed manna from heaven, will we know the Lord of heaven and earth intimately? Will we really get what we want? And is the only reason we pray to get what we want?

God knows your schedule. He knows your time constraints and your busy days ahead. He knows you have things to do, people to see and places to go. He understands your problems, oversees your deepest needs and cares about every single thing that you care about. He also knows you’re often frazzled, tired, frustrated, depressed, anxious, fearful and busy. 

Oh beloved, why don’t you step away from life’s menu for a few moments this morning and taste and see that the Lord is good! Take time to talk with Him about everything. And then let Him have time to speak His truth into your life, for that’s where the real slaking of your thirsty soul is found.

Maybe it’s worth the time to put down the phone and pick up the heavenly line of love, joy and peace. Escape from the crowd and take time to hear, really hear from Him. He is the I AM in your I’m not situation. He’s the bearer of Good Tidings of Great Joy in your bad news message. He’s the One and only One who knows you perfectly and loves you completely.

I promise, on the authority of God’s Word, that He loves you and He’s for you and that’s worth slowing down for a real conversation with your Savior every day.

Matthew 6:6 But when you pray, go into your [most] private room, and, closing the door, pray to your Father, Who is in secret; and your Father, Who sees in secret, will reward you in the open.

John 15:4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.

Psalm 5:3 In the morning, O LORD, You hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before You and wait in expectation.

Psalm 27:4 The one thing I ask of the Lord— the thing I seek most— is to live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, delighting in the Lord’s perfections and meditating in His Temple.

Psalm 105:4 Search for the Lord and for His strength; continually seek Him.

Isaiah 55:6 Seek the Lord while you can find Him. Call on Him now while He is near.

Jeremiah 33:3'Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.'

No comments: