Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Flames of Faith Overtake the Chill


It’s cold outside this morning. I mean really cold. This is the coldest day of the season so far. When I arrived home yesterday evening I was chilled to the bone. Just this small cold snap reminds me that I don’t like winter’s temps. I wondered if I’d ever feel warm again. But I’m warm inside my house. My hubby built a nice roaring fire in the fireplace yesterday afternoon and it is still full of embers that are still keeping the house warm.  I may have to go out in the cold momentarily but I know that when I return it will still be warm inside.

There are times in our lives when it’s just cold. The chill of adversity has us shivering. The plummeting temperatures of trails, hurts and pain has us wondering if we’ll ever be warm again.  Will we ever feel the warmth of true friendship when others seem to walk away so easily? Will we know the flame of true love when we can’t seem to hang onto it? Will adversity keep battering away its high winds on the walls of our hearts and minds? People may try to warm us, make us feel better or console us, but we must find our way out of the chill in our hearts ourselves, so that we can stay warm and secure no matter what.

Oh beloved, rejoice!  God has kept the home fires burning! He is the fire of your warmth for days and nights like this. He is beckoning you to come in out of the elements and warm up to His love and His truth. Regardless of the conditions that surround you, He is your shelter in the storm. You don’t have to remain at the mercy of the howling winds of circumstances, for you are covered by His loving care.   You are never alone, never left out in the cold and never forced to remain distant from the Lord. No matter what, God is with you. No matter what, He will take you in. No matter what, He will cause spring to come again to your heart and the chill of today’s trials will melt in the light of His glory and grace.

Quit rehearsing the problems and begin to rehearse God’s Word over your problems. The flames of faith will overtake the chill and you will find that, even in the midst of it all, God’s love will warm you, God’s word will cover you and His peace will blanket you all the days of your life.

Psalm 36:7 How precious is Your unfailing love, O God! All humanity finds shelter in the shadow of Your wings.

Psalm 31:20 You hide them in the shelter of Your presence, safe from those who conspire against them. You shelter them in Your presence, far from accusing tongues.

Isaiah 12:2 See, God has come to save me. I will trust in Him and not be afraid. The Lord God is my strength and my song; He has given me victory.

Psalm 23:6 Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Psalm 84:10a A single day in your courts is better than a thousand anywhere else!

2 Corinthians 1:3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.

No comments: