Friday, November 08, 2013

The Warmth of God's Truth Warms the Winter Seasons



Seasons come and seasons go. I love early fall the best. It’s the chilly warmth and the brilliant colors that just send me. I wouldn’t mind having a 6 month fall. Maybe add a few months of spring in there for the newness it brings, but skip winter and summer. However if I was in charge of the seasons we’d all be in trouble. No spring means no planting season. No summer means no growing season. No ...winter means no dormant season. And without the other three seasons fall would probably become monotonously long. Imagine having to rake leaves for 6 months!

We have to plan ahead for changing seasons, because they will come whether we greet them or not. Not formulating a plan for each season doesn’t change a thing, but it will leave us feeling unprepared, helpless and forlorn. Winter probably needs the most preparation for it is stark and uninviting and oh so cold.

Just as the natural seasons of the world around us come and go, so do seasons of life. When we are born again we find ourselves tiptoeing through the easy season. It’s spring in our hearts because everything is brand new! Relationships, stories, books, movies, the Bible, church – all take on a new meaning because we have been made new. We see Christ in everything and we’re loving it! Then summer comes and the heat of everyday causes us to learn to drink in the cool refreshment of His Word more and more. We begin to rely on His sustenance and refreshing more. With the advent of fall, we find that thankfulness is the way to bring out the color of life around us. It’s a season of thanksgiving for the bountiful harvest of God’s provision for the year. We are warmed on the crisp cool evenings of change by His absolute faithfulness.

Then winter arrives. We danced through spring, we refreshed ourselves through summer and we learned thankfulness in the fall. But now, winter has arrived and all is stark. Where did the beauty and color and fun go? Winters of life have nothing to do with age, for winter comes to all. We can’t decide when a winter season will come into our lives but we can prepare for it. And if we’ve been gleaning from His word during the growing season and giving thanks during the bountiful season then when winter comes we are more prepared to let God’s sustaining presence get us through. He will wrap us in His blanket of love, warm us with His Word of Truth, carry us through the deep snows that surely come to everyone’s life – sorrow, mourning, depression, rejection, division, ridicule, scorn, and more.

God speaks to my heart: Oh precious child. It’s difficult for you to see the merit in the changing seasons of life, but I AM here. I AM with you through every season. I am especially close in the winters of life. When you see no growth, no warmth, no purpose, no sun – I am with you. I am your prayer partner, your fellow believer, your hope for the hopelessness and your warmth for the long nights of oppression, uncertainty and dread. I am that I am. Without winter you would have a wonderful life but it is in the winters of your days that you realize the depth of my love, my care and my guidance the most. Winters, when you are stuck inside with the problems, the pain and the trials, those are the days you learn to abide in Me. As you rest in My promises, held most dear in the dreary times of life, I will show you the hidden springtime of the heart that gives you refreshment. I will give you the hidden forage of the Word to sustain you when nothing else will give you nourishment. I will remind you that even though you must walk through this winter, you don’t have to walk alone. When spring returns, and it will, you’ll have new knowledge of My unshakable presence all the days of your life. And having endured the winter season you will be stronger, more prepared and ready to share more about Me with others.

Oh beloved, run to His Word and let God meet your needs in Christ! Sow the Word now, harvest the Truth and pack it away for winter. You can pull out the plentiful yield every time you need it. You don’t have to go hungry when the hurts are huge and the nights are long. Every promise is for you. Every verse is preparation for the season you are going through. Every chapter is written with you in mind.

He loves you and He’s for you and that’s what will get you through all the seasons of life and make you stronger for the days ahead.

Ecclesiastes 3:1 For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.

Psalm 90:12 Teach us to realize the brevity of life, so that we may grow in wisdom.

Jeremiah 15:16 When I discovered your words, I devoured them. They are my joy and my heart’s delight, for I bear Your name, O LORD God of Heaven’s Armies.

Psalm 4:7 You have put gladness in my heart, More than when their grain and new wine abound.

Psalm 119:50 Your promise revives me; it comforts me in all my troubles.

Hebrews 4:16 So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most.

No comments: