Monday, November 11, 2013

Let God Take the Lead


Over the years Danny tried to teach me how to drive my own motorcycle. Disastrous is probably too hard a word but none of the times were pretty.  The last time he tired he put me on in the front and sat right behind me. He told me to just try navigating it. He would help do the throttle and everything else.

As we headed for the ditch (thanks to my direction) he laid his hand son mine and told me to let go. I couldn’t! I was frozen in the situation and simply could not release the death grip (literally) that was on the handlebars. He kept saying “let go”. At the very last moment I somehow managed to look away from the fear and let go. He steered us back into the road and stopped the motorcycle.  Right then I vowed never again. I was content to ride behind my husband and he was relieved to let me. 

It wasn’t the motorcycle itself that was going to cause the wreck. It was my death grip on it. Because I couldn’t let go I was destined to end up in the ditch. Because I was paralyzed in the moment I couldn’t move on, move out or move over.

But because my husband is a good, godly, loving man he just kept talking to me. Finally I realized what he was saying and I let go. I knew it was better for him to have the wheel than me. I was relieved, he was relieved and we lived to tell the tale!

Ever feel that you are paralyzed in a situation, unable to hear God’s voice? The pounding of your ears and the beating of your heart has overtaken you. You are about to wreck and you see no way out. The difficulty is insurmountable. You stepped up to the plate, you got into the driver’s seat but now you’re careening wildly. You thought you knew what you were doing, but this event is beyond your abilities. If someone doesn’t come along to assist or take over for you the ditch is where you will end up.

Oh beloved, it’s time to learn to let God do the steering. It’s imperative that you let Him have control of your life and your plans. Only the Lord knows the road ahead.  As long as you’re the one directing the ride, things are going to be your responsibility.  But as soon as you relinquish control and give it to God, He can take the situation and smooth it all out. Oh it might stay rocky for a while, you might still think a wreck is certain, but God will be the one in charge, so you can rest in His promises and delight in His direction. He is a loving, kind, compassionate Lord and you can trust Him.  Even if you find yourself in a ditch, you can cry out to the Lord and He will come and set you aright. There’s never a time when you cannot call on Him in Spirit and Truth.  There’s never a situation where He won’t come to your aid when you call.  Even in the ditch He can take over control and direction of your life and set you back on course of blessings. Don’t let the enemy of your soul convince you that it’s too late or you’ve gone too far. You are still alive so there’s still time to let God take over the direction of your life!

God loves you and He’s for you and that’s why you can trust His voice when He speaks to your heart, every single time and in every situation all the days of your life.

Psalm 25:10 All the paths of the LORD are lovingkindness and truth To those who keep His covenant and His testimonies.

Psalm 48:14 For that is what God is like. He is our God forever and ever, and he will guide us until we die.

Psalm 37:23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.

Psalm 94:18 If I should say, "My foot has slipped," Your lovingkindness, O LORD, will hold me up.

Psalm 40:2-3 He drew me up out of a horrible pit [a pit of tumult and of destruction], out of the miry clay (froth and slime), and set my feet upon a rock, steadying my steps and establishing my goings. And He has put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many shall see and fear (revere and worship) and put their trust and confident reliance in the Lord. (Amplified)

No comments: