Thursday, November 07, 2013

Watch That Trap - Keep Your Eyes on Jesus


We’ve traveled the same road for over 30 years heading to one of our favorite getaways. We know that highway like the back of our hands. Sometimes we see a new house that wasn’t there on the last trip. Depending on the time of year we might see beautiful fall leaves or tractors mowing pastures. But most everything we see is about the same.

The last time we were on that road I saw a sign I’ve never seen anywhere ever. It was a bright yellow sign that read “Warning: Large Traps in Area” attached to a gate leading into a wooded area.  It also read trapper license for this season has been issued. I don’t know about you but that’s enough warning to keep me from taking a nice walk through those woods!

As we drove on past, I wondered: Wouldn’t it be nice if there were signs prominently displayed for believers so that we could avoid the traps of the enemy? If we could know that there was extreme danger ahead, signified by a sign, we’d surely avoid those areas altogether. Wouldn’t we?

God speaks to my heart: My precious child. I am your Protector. I walk ahead of you and I cover your back. I direct your steps so that you can avoid the traps of the enemy. I take care of your going and your coming and you are free to live a life of purpose, joy and blessings. I will keep you safe and guard your heart and your mind. My Word is full of warning signs regarding life in Christ and if you heed My warnings you will remain safe in My care. It is when you step out of My will and My precepts that you can get trapped in situations you were never meant to be in. There are times when I speak to your heart and you ignore the intuition and proceed headlong into dangerous areas. You can’t see the danger ahead but I can. Let Me guide you to safety, let Me walk you through the valleys, let Me keep you from the harmful ways that can injure your spirit, mind and body. Because I am your shepherd you can trust Me to guide you into green pastures and away from deadly traps. My plans for you are good and godly and blessed. Don’t follow your own instincts but follow My Word intently. Together we will navigate the things that would trap you and cause you pain and you can walk free to live in the Light of My Word.

Oh beloved, rejoice! God is on your side, watching over you, guiding you, directing your every step so that you can walk free!  The enemy has many, many traps set for you. But the Lord will help you navigate through the situations you are in so that you don’t get trapped in the enemy’s snare. The enemy will never stop trying to set traps, but as long as you remain close to God and walk in His wisdom you will remain free. You can rejoice too that even when the trap is sprung and you find yourself unable to get yourself free from the tyranny of the enemy, God will come to your aid. He’s only a prayer away and He’s able to do exceedingly abundantly beyond all  you could ever ask or think. Call out to Jesus today. Ask Him to guide you. Ask Him to release you. Ask Him to heal the broken places the trap has caused and set you free to enjoy His loving care again.

Lord, help us. We are so prone to wander into enemy territory. Even when signs are present we often ignore them. We acknowledge to You today that we can’t make it through the wilderness without You. We give over our wanderings and our waywardness to You and ask that You renew Your vows to be our Shepherd, our Lord and our Savior. We have no one who can set us free or keep us free but You. Thank you Lord that You love us and You are for us so that we can walk in safety and freedom all the days of our lives.

Psalm 91:2-3 I will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress, My God, in whom I trust!”  For it is He who delivers you from the snare of the trapper….

Psalm 118:5 In my distress I prayed to the Lord, and the Lord answered me and set me free.

Psalm 5:8 Lead me in the right path, O Lord, or my enemies will conquer me. Make Your way plain for me to follow.

Psalm 25:15 My eyes are always on the Lord, for He rescues me from the traps of my enemies.

Psalm 31:4 Pull me from the trap my enemies set for me, for I find protection in You alone.

Psalm 119:98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are my constant guide.

Psalm 119:45 I will walk in freedom, for I have devoted myself to Your commandments.

No comments: