Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pour Yourself a Full Measure of God's Love This Day


As I was putting dishes up last night I remembered just how many coffee cups we have. The collection of cups from my parents is intermingled with our own. There are cups from motorcycle dealerships, Disney World, various vacations, scripture cups and more.  They are threatening to burst open the cabinet that holds them. Do I need this many cups? Not really. But which cup do I discard? Which cups are not worth having?  I can’t bear to part with one, for each has a history, each tells a tale and even the broken ones that have been pieced back together are important.

I choose my morning coffee cup often based on my attitude or feelings of the day. I love to drink from “It’s YOUR Day!” a birthday cup I got many years ago. It reminds me to tell the Lord it’s his day to do whatever He wants to do with my life.  I enjoy the cup that reads “Go ye into all the world…” to share the Love of God with people, the Gospel, the Good News.

That rag taggle, mismatched group of cups reminds me to keep asking God to fill my cup. I would be a totally empty shell without God’s love filling me to the brim. There are times when I need an extra helping of God’s love to get me through. Just like I need more than one cup of coffee.  Without a serving of God’s love that I allow myself to have every morning I would be tasteless and there would be no sweetness to draw on for my day.

Oh beloved, as you drink your cup of steaming coffee, or cocoa or spiced tea, take a moment to savor the richness of God’s love. Pour in a generous, running over cup of His love. Stir it into your heart. And drink of it. Drink and keep drinking. Pour it again, fill it up and let it run over.  You need it. You will be lost and confused without it.  Don’t be miserly with this Love for it is never ending.  No frugality needed here, rather abundance should be the word.  The more you allow yourself to taste of God’s great love, the more you will know you are accepted, chosen, redeemed and forgiven.

Fill my cup, Lord; I lift it up Lord; Come and quench this thirsting of my soul. Bread of Heaven, feed me till I want no more. Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.

God loves you and He’s for you can drink from that truth forever knowing His love never runs dry.

Psalm 73:26 My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

Psalm 23:5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows.

Psalm 36:8 They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house; And You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.

Psalm 34:8 O taste and see that the Lord is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

1 Corinthians 13:8 Love never fails;

No comments: