Monday, November 04, 2013

Look Beyond the View of Now to the New


With the time change and with my habit of getting up early, I found myself wide awake and full of energy quite early yesterday morning. My husband was sleeping in, so I decided to get in the car and go for a sunrise drive. I didn’t go far but I meandered around the nearby country roads to see what I could see. The deer were out here and there. The fog that settled across meadows and ponds was lifting and the sun began to creep over the horizon. As the sun got higher the leaves became more brilliant in their fall colors. It was a gorgeous morning. I drove past a couple of places I’ve always thought would be beautiful for a home site.

As I looked at one of my favorite places to build a home, I noticed that the view went on forever. Since it was on a small hill the trees acres away framed the blue sky perfectly. One of those places where someone always says “I could sit on the porch and just take in the view forever”.

But I also thought that unless you own the view as well, with all those beautiful trees, you can’t be sure that it will stay the same. Whoever owns the adjoining pastures and woodlands is in charge of that so it’s subject to change.

Change comes. You put down roots, you work heartily as unto the Lord, you live life well and you enjoy the view. Things are good and you are satisfied. In fact you are quite content. Why would anyone ever change their venue, go somewhere else or sell out?

God speaks to my heart: My precious child. Unless you own all you can see, what you are doing, where you are going, you can’t be assured that it will remain the same. I own it all – the earth is mine and everything in it – including you. I spoke and the beauty of the world came into existence. I spoke and you came into existence. I knew you before you were formed in your mother’s womb. I knew the views you would enjoy, the places you would feel comfortable and the joys you would feel while looking at My creation. You cannot own it all, and you cannot make it stay the same forever, no matter how much you enjoy it. So you will have to trust Me to make each step of the life of your faith beautiful in its own way. Don’t be so attached to people, places, views and things. For I am going to take you beyond your comfort zone, out of your favorite view and into My realm of service. You will have to learn to enjoy the now, and be prepared for the new. But I promise, each and every step will be wonderful as you learn to trust Me more and more. You once lived in the valley and now I am taking you to greater heights. Don’t fear the road upward, for new heights are just what you need to thrive in the Holy Spirit. Don’t wish for the old view in the valley, don’t desire to go back. I am not a God who was, I AM that I AM. Each day with me holds a new view of beauty and life and purpose. Together, as you hold onto Me and let Me choose the path, you will grow in the grace and knowledge of Me. The splendor of letting Me choose your new view is something you could never experience in your own flesh.  Even if you must go through hard places to get to the summit, I am with you and I will teach you and show you and take you beyond yourself.

Oh beloved, hang on! You thought change was coming, in fact you’ve experienced quite a few changes. Everything in your life is transient as you turn your focus from the view to the View Maker. He loves you and He’s for you and that’s worth letting Him choose the changes as you follow Him with all of your heart.

Psalm 100:3 Know that the LORD Himself is God; It is He who has made us, and not we ourselves; We are His people and the sheep of His pasture

Psalm 24:1 The earth is the LORD'S, and all it contains, The world, and those who dwell in it.

Hebrews 11:8 By faith Abraham, when he was called, obeyed by going out to a place which he was to receive for an inheritance; and he went out, not knowing where he was going.

Psalm 31:15 …my times are in Your hands…

Luke 9:23 And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.”

No comments: