Wednesday, April 09, 2014

Plans May Change but God's Plans Remain


Image
On Sunday as the sun came up the day was absolutely beautiful. Blue skies dotted with fluffy white clouds hung in the sky and streaks of gold shined on the dewy grass. The flowers popped in the light and everything looked clean and beautiful. The plan was to be outside all day to enjoy God’s world. 
The only problem with that plan was that within the hour blue black clouds stepped forward out of the west and covered all the crispness. Gloom took over. Rain drops fell. It stayed cold and drippy all day. I never got to spend time outdoors. My plans changed.
We decided that it was a great day to go to church anyway. Then come home and eat a bite of lunch, watch an old movie on tv and have a nap. We had some little visitors and two of them took naps as well. It was that kind of day. I guess I could have griped and moaned and cursed the weather. I could have lamented that I wasn’t getting to do what I wanted to do. I could have ceased to enjoy the day entirely, but I chose to enjoy what there was, along with the change of plans.
The next day came a bigger challenge. A huge change in some plans we had been making for months. I didn’t handle it so well. I was fretting and fussing most of the day. I felt so unsettled. I knew we had a choice – we could either keep with our original plan or we could change our plans. My day didn’t go so well because I had forgotten to make friends with change. I had also forgotten that God’s plans remain no matter what my plans are. 
When I got home and talked with Danny we both agreed that God was up to something, even though it was very different from what we had planned. Then I remembered the Bible study we’re in and how we had studied just last week about discernment. So together we asked God for discernment about the decisions we had to make. Within 30 minutes complete peace came and the decision was made. I had fretted the entire day trying to make heads or tails of what was going on. I had been in a battle and didn’t even realize it. The battle was between my plans and God’s plans. Ultimately that’s where the battle lies. Sure God blesses us with friendships, fellowship, trips and plans. He doesn’t keep us from enjoying life. We just need, for our own sakes and for the sake of the Kingdom, to let God in on our plans so we can enjoy His best.
Oh beloved, God wants you to know that He has wonderful plans for your life! First and foremost His plan is for you to find restoration to the Kingdom of God through Christ. Then He wants you to include Him in every single day – in every single plan – ask Him about His desires and tell Him about yours. No greater fulfillment than to be right in the center of God’s will. Your plans may have gone awry but God loves you. Because He loves you, you can trust that His plans will not be thwarted by any man’s decisions. You are not the victim of circumstances and you don’t have to fret or worry or get frustrated about life’s changes. Today is your day to step up to the Light and feel the Son’s blessings as you walk in the light of God’s Word and His will. No mere vacation will suffice; no personal plans will be good enough. It’s ultimately God’s plans that will stand the test of time. Pray for discernment and He will give it to you. Apologize if you’ve fretted and caused someone else trouble. Rejoice that when it’s all said and done, doing things according to God’s plan is the best plan you’ll ever make.
God loves you and He’s for you. Now go out and have a wonderful day as you make plans and let Him plan your day for His kingdom and His glory as well as your good!
Proverbs 3:5-6 Lean on, trust in, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize, and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths. (Amplified)
Proverbs 16:3 Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed.
Romans 12:2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives

No comments: