Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Sweet Spot to Tight Spot? God is With You!


For some reason, my name was chosen to lead praise and worship at church Sunday, like a name pulled from a hat. Not much rhyme or reason there. I can sing, but I’m not a singer. It’s just not my calling. I do play the piano, but an accompanist is not a leader. Our praise and worship leader was going to be out of town and he called out my name to our pastor. Really.




I was fretting about it for... several days. I did pray, but mostly that God would intervene! My pastor said if God told me not to he’d find someone else. Well, I never heard from God on that, so I fretted some more! Then right in the middle of my wondering about it, Danny just made a little suggestion. He reminded me that he had bought a praise and worship dvd a year or so ago at a greatly discounted price. We’d watched it once, but never done anything with it. After all, we don’t “lead” praise and worship, so why would we ever need it?



Well, that dvd was the icing on the cake of God’s making. I was relaxed and ready – how could anything go wrong when it was all laid out. I wouldn’t have to do much except share what God had spoken to me about praise and worship and let the dvd do its work.



Except our praise and worship leader was there! I thought for sure I was off the hook, but no, he said that I had prepared all week (he didn’t know what all I had done lol), so I needed to go ahead. Now it was worse – the worship leader would be PRESENT! With sweaty palms I proceeded. One of our elders asked me if I was leading the worship service and I so “no, God is!” I figured since God got me into this I’d just blame Him!



I got up and shared what God had shown me – that while I was not a worship leader, I was a praiser and a worshiper by nature. The dvd began, I stepped over beside the worship leader and then God did what God always does – He took over! I asked our song leader to lead and stepped into the pew by my husband. It was awesome!

We all have gifts from the Lord that are meant to be used to edify the church body. But sometimes God nudges out of our comfort zones. I’m not sure I know why, but I know He knew it would happen when He prompted Danny to buy the dvd. I know He knew the outcome while I was trying to prepare. I know He had a plan and I was allowed to be on it in some small way. Get ready, because God may ask you to get out of your sweet spot and into a tight spot so that His glory will shine through!



Oh beloved, God says to you this morning, Let Me use you! Let Me guide you! Know beloved, that even when others ask something of you that’s out of your realm of possibilities, God might just be asking you to let Him perform the impossible through you. Every opportunity given to share the Gospel, love on God’s people, serve Him in unusual ways or shine His light is from Him! Sure it might be a little uncomfortable, sure it might be beyond you, sure it might take great faith to proceed, but those are God’s working plans! He takes you beloved, out of your comfort zone and into His blessings. He promises always to use you, bless you and guide you so that you can grow in faith and He can be glorified! He loves you and He’s for you and that’s worth saying, “Yes, Lord, Yes!”



Matthew 14:29 "Yes, come," Jesus said. So Peter went over the side of the boat and walked on the water toward Jesus.



Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.


Acts 9:10-16 (v.13 “But Lord! exclaimed Ananias…”



2 Corinthians 12:9 Each time He said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.



I Corinthians 2:5 …so you would trust not in human wisdom but in the power of God.

No comments: