Monday, April 15, 2013

Time to Forgive Everyone Everything

I bought a metal plaque this week-end at a little Christian bookstore inside Gospel Light Church where we held our CMA Seasons of Refreshing. It read simply, “Forgive Everyone Everything”. It caught my eye and it caught my heart.


I’ve heard it’s possible, but I’ve never met anyone personally who doesn’t love their own children. I admit we parents have no idea just how in love we are going to be while carrying the baby, but at the moment of birth we are forever undone over this bone of our bone and flesh of our flesh.



It’s not always a honeymoon. Kids are imperfect. Parents are imperfect. They step on our toes when they’re little and then they step on our hearts when they’re older. Many times we punish inconsequential things and overlook the big stuff. We try to let them know they’re loved no matter what, but we also try to get them to do things right.



Still and all, they are our heart walking around outside our bodies. No matter what age they are, they are our babies. Our son walked in this afternoon for a quick hello and my heart melted all over again, just like it did the first time I laid eyes on him. Our middle daughter texted an I love you tonight and my heart skipped a beat. I texted I love you to our oldest daughter and got the same in return. Gave me great peace.



Our family is like most families. We get bent out of shape, we don’t always see eye to eye, but in the end, when it’s all said and done, we love one another.



Last night I quoted the plaque. I just don’t have the words to express our complete and inescapable sorrow over such dear, dear friends losing their 35 year old daughter in a car accident. We hold our children’s hands so tightly, even the grown ones. We get accused of clinging and more, but it’s that fragility of life that keeps us parents catching our breath over and over again.



I know you will understand won’t you that today is a good day to forgive everyone everything. I know this because God forgave me and I am the most imperfect person ever known. I didn’t deserve grace, I didn’t merit it or pass any tests for it. But God in His infinite, perfect love, reached down and gave it to me. So I just pass it on to others, especially my children.



Oh beloved, let God love you! Let God forgive you! And then, let God lead you to forgive everyone everything. It really doesn’t matter does it in the long run what it was because God has buried all our sins in the deepest sea – as far as the east is from the west – never to be counted against us again. God knows the struggles you have, He knows the hurts you carry and He knows the burdens that seem oh so heavy. But He’s made a way to help you when you’re low, relieve you of your load and bless you with good days and opportunities to love and forgive. He is trustworthy even when all looks hopeless. He really does love you, He really does hear your prayers, He really does want to walk with you and guide you all the days of your life and that’s all that really matters.



I John 4:10 This is real love--not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son as a sacrifice to take away our sins.



Mark 11:25 But when you are praying, first forgive anyone you are holding a grudge against, so that your Father in heaven will forgive your sins, too.



Psalm 18:6 But in my distress I cried out to the LORD; yes, I prayed to my God for help. He heard me from His sanctuary; my cry to Him reached His ears.

No comments: