Thursday, August 30, 2012

In the Shadow of His Wings I Take Refuge



We are all watching what may be the worst hurricane of the season. Friends and family along the Gulf Coast have battened down the hatches. Memories of childhood storms come back to me. Often we would leave Houston altogether and go north until the storm subsided. Back in the 60’s my father was on a barge in the gulf when a hurricane hit.  My mother didn’t know the condition of those men out there until after the storm had passed.  We watched the news and just like people are doing today, we kept our eyes glued for any information.  It’s an odd thing about hurricanes. They are incredibly fierce and yet inside the eye, the center of that storm, there is complete calm.  While the storm whirls about wreaking destruction everywhere else, inside the eye no havoc, no chaos, no trouble.
Oh beloved, you may be in the storm of your life. It may have been raging for quite a while and you’ve tried to hang on, hunker down and keep going. It’s hard I know. I too have weathered storms in my life. And, because I made it through I can encourage you as well. You will make it through; you will come out the other side. But more than that, you can rest in the center of the Father’s will knowing that He will keep you from the havoc, the chaos the damage. Regardless of what you are going through, His Word is your Storm Shelter. His Word is Your Guarantee. His Word is His Bond. Trust Him this morning for in the center of His Will is love, peace, purpose and strength.  He loves you and He’s for you so He will see you through!

Nahum 1:7 The LORD is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him.

Psalm 57:1 Be merciful and gracious to me, O God, be merciful and gracious to me, for my soul takes refuge and finds shelter and confidence in You; yes, in the shadow of Your wings will I take refuge and be confident until calamities and destructive storms are passed.

Hebrews 6:18 So God has given both His promise and His oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to Him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us.

 

No comments: