Monday, August 13, 2012

Storms are Inevitable but We Can Survive!


It’s coming up a storm this morning. I haven’t seen rain yet, but off in the distance I’ve heard the approaching rumble of thunder.  Thunder is always a harbinger of weather.  I might have noticed it earlier but we had the air conditioner running and a fan as well. Lots of background noise makes for drowning out the alerts.  Now that the coffee pot has quit gurgling and Danny’s off to work I hear it approaching, each sound getting a little louder than the one before.  I’ve also looked at the radar to see if there are any storm reports or warnings yet. It helps to be prepared, especially in the early morning before daylight.  Somehow when Danny’s here I don’t mind a little storm, but by myself I’m not as brave. Because Danny remains calm I find great comfort in being with him while the storm rages.   

Oh beloved, maybe you have found yourself right in the middle of a storm. You wonder where it came from and why it’s here now. You might have seen the signs but the noise of life drowned out the warnings. Just as we cannot pick the storms that develop in nature, we don’t pick the storms that come into our lives. But just as in nature a storm is inevitable now and then, so too storms are inevitable in our lives. Unprepared we are like sitting ducks waiting to be picked off by the enemy. But prepared we can withstand storms and hold fast until they pass. Not only that, but we can come out of the storm stronger, fearless and more knowledgeable.  It’s hard to be brave alone, but when God is with us we can be valiant and overcome the storm.   Run to the safety of His Word this morning! Seek His Truth and abide in it. His Word is your storm shelter and His love will cover you completely so that when the storm has passed you and He together can rejoice that you overcame! He loves you and He’s for you so there’s nothing to fear!


Psalm 9:9  The LORD is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.

Isaiah 25:4  But you are a tower of refuge to the poor, O LORD, a tower of refuge to the needy in distress. You are a refuge from the storm and a shelter from the heat...

Joel 3:16  The LORD’s voice will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem, and the heavens and the earth will shake. But the LORD will be a refuge for His people, a strong fortress for the people of Israel.

Proverbs 18:10  The name of the LORD is a strong fortress; the godly run to him and are safe.

Psalm 18:2  The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.

No comments: