Thursday, August 23, 2012

It is In the Heights that We Really Learn to Know Him



As I was looking at the photos taken of our recent ride to Petit Jean I was reminded of what a daring man I married! Several photos were taken, not only by me, but others that showed him on top of boulders, out on the cliffs and overlooking chasms. All these years I’ve watched him launch out to places I don’t dare go.  He has always asked me to go along with him, but most times I declined. On the rare occasions where I mustered up enough courage to go with him it turned out to be so worth it! The view would be so wonderful, the scene exhilarating and the realization that I had the courage to go with him was great!  I find that my husband has taught me a lot about life, about taking chances and about looking at the scenery rather than concentrating on the fear and I’m thankful again that He’s mine.  

Oh beloved!  Our walk with God is like this. We love to stroll with Him in the meadows where there’s not much trouble, few decisions and no stress.  Yet it is in the heights of the unfamiliar that we really begin to know Him and to trust Him and thus to follow Him. While it may seem safer to reside in the valley, it is up on the mountain that real change takes place - the mountains where we’re out of our comfort zones, loose from our earthly bonds and clinging only to Him. Why don’t you take His Hand this morning and say yes. Yes to the unknown, yes to the higher calling, yes to the place where you will live with “less of me and more of Thee”.  His marvelous plan is out of this world for you.  Not only that, the view is astounding and the air is fresher. You can trust His plan, you can climb up and be full of courage as together you and the Lord walk the walk He has planned for you.  Take a chance today and watch how your life lets go of the fear holding you to the meadow.  He loves you and He’s for you and that’s all that really matters.

 

Habakkuk 3:19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.

Mark 8:34  Then, calling the crowd to join His disciples, He said, “If any of you wants to be My follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow Me.

Psalm 94:18-19 “I cried out, “I am slipping!” but Your unfailing love, O LORD, supported me. When doubts filled my mind, Your comfort gave me renewed hope and cheer.”

Psalm 143:10  Teach me to do your will, for you are my God. May your gracious Spirit lead me forward on a firm footing.

No comments: