Friday, August 03, 2012

Practicing Your Life in Christ

When I first began taking piano lessons, all I wanted to do was practice. I had played by ear as a little girl on the family’s pump organ, but learning to read music and having a piano to practice on was opening a whole new world to me. My piano teacher had taught in Tyler for many, many years. She knew her stuff. She didn’t just let me play music though. I had to learn theory, the nuts and bolts...of music. When I practiced well and came to class prepared she’d put stars on my pages. I also found that playing the piano was a great place of release for me. I could get lost in the songs and find my spirit soaring after playing for a while. I still love to play piano, but I’m not as fond of reading the music as I once was. I find myself reverting back to playing by ear, especially when someone visiting requests a certain song. Nothing is sweeter than time alone at the piano, losing myself in the music. When I completely abandon myself to the keyboard letting the music flow from my heart, I find that God speaks through His gift and worship comes easier. Instead of working to make it flow, as during those early years of practice, it just flows for after years of staying close to the keys and practicing the music it has become second nature.


Life in Christ is meant to be lived in utter abandon. Practicing the faith is not mundane but magnificent when we give ourselves totally to Him. He is our Teacher, He is the Conductor and the music of our live is meant to be played for His audience alone.

Oh beloved, life can get oh so busy. We can find ourselves out of practice and unable to make the music flow. Troubles take over and the keyboard of life can become out of tune. We may find ourselves trying to keep playing and wondering why it’s off key. Run to the Master Musician this morning. Give Him your talents, your time, your desires. Let Him speak words of confidence and comfort into your life so that the music of faith can once again flow into your life. For nothing is more beautiful than a symphony of faith reaching into the heavens as you spend time with the Lord and practice His Word and your faith. He’s waiting for your presence right now. He loves you and He has all the time in the world and together you and He will work out the notes for your good and His glory!


Psalm 98:6 Make a joyful symphony before the LORD, the King!

Psalm 119:147 I rise early, before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words.

Psalm 27:8 My heart has heard you say, “Come and talk with me.” And my heart responds, “LORD, I am coming.”

Psalm 40:8 I take joy in doing your will, my God, for your instructions are written on my heart.”

No comments: