Monday, March 03, 2014

Look to the Future, Not to the Past

This morning as I wake up I remember as a child we had to keep the faucets dripping, put a light in the pump house, and various other things to keep the water pipes from bursting and the pump from freezing. Back then it was hard work to do simple things. Some of you may have to still do these things but for most of us we don’t anymore. There are other things that used to be laborious that we now have much easier. I’m glad for the most part that things are easier. Outhouses and rub boards are pretty much a thing of the past. Cisterns and well buckets have given way most everywhere to a simple twist of the faucet. 

I am thinking too of my own children being young. We had all the grands with us recently and for a moment I could get melancholy that the children I raised are all grown. We had a great time with them and still enjoy reminiscing about their childhoods.

If I just reminisced about the past, pretty soon I’d be wishing I could go back. Unknown days are ahead. We’ve not lived them. We don’t know where we’re going with God but we are going into the future. He has a plan and He’s leading us. We are excited to know that God’s Word tells us that even in our old age God has something for us, so even though we might become quite aged there is still much to do for the Kingdom of God when we follow Him with our whole heart.

The Egyptians left behind slavery. They were taken out of the land of Pharaoh with a strong and mighty arm of the Lord. Many signs and wonders were evident in their lives. They were heading out to points unknown but as long as God was leading it would be good. The wilderness looked fine to them compared to the slavery they had endured. Until they lived there.

God speaks to my heart: Each and every day is a new day with Me. I know there are times when you’d like to go back – maybe to do something over and better, maybe just to enjoy those wonderful memories. But I am not leading you to the past. I am not leading you to relive the good times and I am not leading you to relive the bad times. I am leading you into the future. It may look like a wilderness to you. But you can rest assured that every step I take before you is a step you can take with confidence. Living in the past has no merit whatsoever. Today is the day to live your triumphant life in Me. My name is I AM – I AM here, I AM leading, I AM preparing you for the future, I AM leading you through and teaching you much about My character and nature, even when you don’t know where you are going. 

Oh beloved! Trust the Lord. Let Him lead you out of the past. Let Him use you fresh and new today. Let Him give you a hope for the future. Let Him turn what looks like a wilderness into sacred ground. He will provide everything you need in abundance, along with grace and peace and joy. He loves you and He’s for you and His plans are outrageously good for your heart, your mind and your soul as you live in the light of His Word and follow Him all the days of your life. 

Psalm 78:19 They spoke against God; they said, "Can God really spread a table in the wilderness?”

Psalm 25:9 He leads the humble in justice, And He teaches the humble His way.

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.

Psalm 31:3 For You are my rock and my fortress; For Your name’s sake You will lead me and guide me.

Isaiah 48:17 This is what the LORD says--your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I am the LORD your God, who teaches you what is good for you and leads you along the paths you should follow

Jeremiah 31:17 “There is hope for your future,” declares the Lord…

Psalm 71:18 Now that I am old and gray, do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, your mighty miracles to all who come after me.

No comments: