Thursday, March 20, 2014

You Can Be Grateful to God Even in the Dark


“When I arrived at the hospital Monday afternoon, Beth was not in the room. A few minutes later she returned from one of her therapy sessions. After a little while, she started a song (I had always started the songs). It was one I had never heard before.
She sang: ‘I am so grateful – I am so grateful – I am so grateful – that He will walk with me’”
???????????????????The message above is an excerpt of an update from one of our college professors regarding his wife. What you don’t know is the rest of the story. She recently had a stroke and could not talk or sing or walk. And she has a beautiful voice. We heard an angelic singer in the crowd at a worship seminar a few years ago and discovered it was her! I’ve seen her in town for years and she’s been in my office many times. But I didn’t know she had the voice of an angel until that night. It was dark in the sanctuary so that we could see the event on the big screen so we could barely see each other. Nobody else in the room was really singing but her. Yet her voice was clear and perfect. 
God speaks to my heart: What do you do when you cannot speak? When the words don’t come and your heart is in your throat? Do you sing? Can you sing? Do you know the words to the song that is sung strictly from the spirit? When you’re in the dark do you lose heart? Are you faint for fear? I AM with you always. Because of My Presence you can be grateful no matter what. Grateful in the unspeakable moments of dread. Grateful in the darkest hours of your life. Grateful enough to sing and praise Me. Grateful enough to remember even in those times of fear and dread and sorrow: “I will walk with you.”
Oh beloved, are you in a dark and speechless time? You may have been there a while and you see no improvement at all. God wants you to know that even there, He is with you always. Even when you do not know how to pray or praise, He is with you. If you will just praise Him in the storm right now, you will find that He will come in like a flood of light to bless your heart. You will also find that as you praise the Lord for His wonderful care, the enemy of your heart will have to flee. He cannot stand in the presence of the Word, or of praise and especially not of worship. Each step you make with God will help you find your voice again. Each grateful acknowledgement that He alone is your God will cause the light to dawn in your heart and mind and soul. I cannot promise when things will change or how God will bring about the change, but I know He is with you all the way. You are born again to be a singing emissary of praise and a worshiping messenger of mercy and grace. 
Trust Him right now, no matter what, simply because of who He is. He loves you and He’s for you. So you can let Him take you beyond the momentary circumstances of the present into His sanctuary of safety where He will watch over you, protect you and guide you all the days of your life. 
Psalm 16:8 I know the LORD is always with me. I will not be shaken, for He is right beside me. NLT
Psalm 112:4 Light arises in the darkness for the upright; He is gracious and compassionate and righteous.
Psalm 108:1 My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing, I will sing praises, even with my soul.
Hebrews 12:28 Therefore let us be grateful for receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken, and thus let us offer to God acceptable worship, with reverence and awe…
Psalm 75:1 We thank you, O God! We give thanks because you are near. People everywhere tell of your wonderful deeds.

No comments: