Thursday, November 22, 2012

Give the Gift of Thanksgiving Today!


Looking back over the years to family Thanksgivings past, I laugh as I remember fondly even those things that irritated me so as a young person. Take the men in the family. They would curse and fight and beat the table in front of the tv as their favorite and not so favorite teams duked it out.  We “women” would relegate ourselves to the king sized bed in mother’s room to visit and laugh and carry on. How I would love to hear my Daddy and Uncle Bill arguing about football!

We are fortunate to be able to celebrate with a table full of faith, food, family and more. Reminiscing is very much a part of this special holiday, but we also want to make new memories. The chill of the morning, the colors of the leaves and the knowledge that we are blessed beyond measure keeps us hopeful, watchful and grateful.

But this Thanksgiving I am especially thankful.  For prayers not answered in my way or my timing. Every prayer I ever prayed just didn’t line up with God’s will. In fact some prayers were downright self-centered. But God, in His absolute incredible mercy knew best and still does. Thank you Lord. For unfulfilled wishes. Out of our own hurts and angers we often wish for things that aren’t from God’s heart. Oh God You are so protective, so forgiving so kind. Thank you Lord. For heaven’s gain and my loss. We mourn for loved ones long gone and just gone. But would you ask any one of them to leave Heaven’s splendor? God you are so beautiful. Your creative Power has given us hope for tomorrow, hope beyond the tomb, the stone, the grave. Thank you Lord.

If circumstances were the reason for thanksgiving then we’d be most poverty stricken. Some of you are hurting, some of you are healing, some of you are lonely, some of you are missing loved ones. Some of you are being held captive by hurts, animosity, fear and more. But for the grace of God you may have nothing to give thanks for…and yet…when we really get down to it, Thanksgiving is an attitude of the heart that transcends our days here on earth.

Oh beloved, this day is your day to give Thanks to the One Who is worthy of all praise! He knew you before you were formed, He knows everything about you both the good and the not so good, He has all your days taken care of. He knows your hurts, your whispered prayers, your hearts’ desires and your fears. He has brought you to this day, a day of thanksgiving, because He has a purpose for you and that purpose begins and ends in Him! He is full of astonishing love for you. He is full of glorious care and creative power for you to live by! Run to His Book of Thankfulness and read – all His promises, all His love, all His care, all His mercy, all His forgiveness, all His power and more is there just for you! You are blessed beyond measure because the King of Kings and the Lord of Lord says so! As you sit at your table today, don’t forget to drink a cup of thankfulness in His blessed and holy Name! Thank Him today! Thank Him for He is Worthy of your thanksgiving!

1 Chronicles 16:8  Give thanks to the LORD and proclaim His greatness. Let the whole world know what He has done.

Ephesians 5:20  And give thanks for everything to God the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 103:2  Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget none of His benefits. (NAS)

Psalm 16:7  I will bless the LORD who guides me; even at night my heart instructs me.

Psalm 28:7  The LORD is my strength and shield. I trust Him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.

Psalm 116:17  I will offer you a sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the LORD.

Revelation 7:12  They sang, “Amen! Blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and strength belong to our God forever and ever! Amen.”

No comments: