Friday, November 02, 2012

Prone to Wander? Fix Your Eyes on Him!


Little Caleb is a wanderer. He comes by it quite naturally. After all his mother was quite the traveler. Mrs. Maureen Stephens of Blevins named her “the wanderer”. She called over to a friend’s house one day after peering out her window to see my little darling standing in the highway. Yep.

Just a few nights ago, Caleb was brought back into his house at dark. He’d been out trying to play with his big brother and new found neighborhood friends. He was barefoot! His shoes had been left somewhere in the creek bed in our back yard. He wasn’t a bit unhappy about the loss of shoes even though it was quite cold out. His parents tell him often, “come back here”, “no no”, “get back in the house”… I found him yesterday standing outside on the porch when I left to go back to my house – no one including me had a clue he’d stepped outside.

We too are prone to wander in many ways. We let our mind wander to the regrets of the past and sometimes to fears of the future and if we’re not careful we’ll be out in the middle of the highway convinced that the old enemy of my soul is about to run me over! We watch too many home remodel shows and find our minds wandering to remodels and redo’s and re-fixes! We’ll have spent tons of money in our mind and find ourselves quite unhappy. Then we remember God’s Word and we’re back inside the comfort of His life for us.

So many things make us want to wander. The love of life, the desire for more, the curiosity of what all is out there. How blessed we are to know that our Father God calls us back to Himself each and every day.

Oh beloved, today as you wipe the sleep from your eyes, rejoice! Your Father God is the One Who is waking you up! He’s said today is another day in His marvelous plan for you. Stay very close to Him! He will always lead you, always guide you and always bring you out safely! Don’t wander and don’t wonder – stay close! The greatest antidote for wandering hearts is thankfulness! Thank Him this morning that He loves you! Thank Him that He will come after you to bring you back to safety! Thank Him that His plan for you is good and that He is always going to guide you if you let Him because He’s on your side!  

1 Chronicles 21:13 “I’m in a desperate situation!” David replied to Gad. “But let me fall into the hands of the LORD, for His mercy is very great. Do not let me fall into human hands.”

Psalm 119:67  I used to wander off until You disciplined me; but now I closely follow Your word.

Psalm 119:175-176 Let me live so I can praise you, and may your regulations help me.  I have wandered away like a lost sheep; come and find me, for I have not forgotten Your commands.

1 Peter 2:25  Once you were like sheep who wandered away. But now you have turned to your Shepherd, the Guardian of your souls.

Psalm 61:2  From the ends of the earth, I cry to you for help when my heart is overwhelmed. Lead me to the towering rock of safety,

Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in You, all whose thoughts are fixed on You!

No comments: