Thursday, November 29, 2012

Let Christ Make Your Christmas Full of His Joy!


The Christmas holiday is approaching. It’s time to get the tree up and start putting packages underneath the boughs. When we were first married, Danny and I would go out to the woods to pick out a tree. It would end up in an argument because well…I always wanted a huge tree and he always said it wouldn’t fit! He was right of course. My eyes were always bigger than the space we had. Tree hunting was always one of my favorite activities. Many memories are of trees that had to be trimmed to get into the trunk of the car, then trimmed to get in the house and then trimmed one more time to have room to stand it up! With our new open floor plan there is no limit to where we can place the tree because it can be seen anywhere. 

To prep the house for the holidays we have to get out the ornaments and the yard lights and the tinsel and glitter. There are the nativities we scatter around the house and the santas and the angels. There will be stockings and Christmas towels and more. 

But in order to fully enjoy the holidays and prep our hearts, there are things we must put away as well. Who wants to see a bag of resentment hanging from the ceiling? Does anyone need a sock full of malice hanging at the fireplace mantel? Why would we want Santa’s bag to be full of quarrels and unforgiveness? Pack away those things that dishonor others, discard spitefulness and hurtful ways. While I’m cleaning out my cabinets and dusting the furniture, I also want to spend time cleaning out my heart and making room for the Babe in the Manger, the Crucified Christ, the Resurrected Lord.

Glitter will not make you happy, contented, or satisfied. It may help to cover up the truth, but in the end it’s just plastic. But giving your heart fresh and new to Christ and putting away those things that grieve the Holy Spirit will cause even the barest of lives to shine as pure gold. 

Oh beloved, I know it can be hard to celebrate the Season of Seasons when even within your own family there may be discord, anger, lying or more. You may be even suffering at the hands of one who is unhappy, unholy and unrepentant. You may be dealing with these issues in your own heart. But celebrate you must for God Himself is calling you to celebrate Him! He says to you this morning, My Peace is yours for I AM the Prince of Peace! My Joy is Yours for in My Presence is Fullness of Joy! My Victory is yours for I AM Victorious on your behalf. As you celebrate Me and all that I AM you will learn to celebrate all that you are In Me! Others may try to tear down your peace and joy but they cannot as long as you put your hands in Mine and keep your heart focused on Me. I AM your answer to sorrow, anger, resentment, and more.  I AM the one who will teach you to be useful, helpful, tender hearted and forgiving for I have forgiven you freely. Put those other things away and concentrate on Me! Together we will trim the tree, spread the joy and be a shining example of My Love!  Always remember, I love you and I AM your strongest ally. I will take care of the things that hurt you, the things that dishonor you and the things you cannot fix. I AM that I AM – and I AM yours and you are Mine!

Matthew 26:52 “Put away your sword,” Jesus told him. “Those who use the sword will die by the sword.

1 Corinthians 13:11 When I was a child, I spoke and thought and reasoned as a child. But when I grew up, I put away childish things.

Ephesians 4:31-32 Let all bitterness and indignation and wrath (passion, rage, bad temper) and resentment (anger, animosity) and quarreling (brawling, clamor, contention) and slander (evil-speaking, abusive or blasphemous language) be banished (put away) from you, with all malice (spite, ill will, or baseness of any kind).  And become useful and helpful and kind to one another, tenderhearted (compassionate, understanding, loving-hearted), forgiving one another [readily and freely], as God in Christ forgave you.

Psalm 16:11 You will show me the way of life,
granting me the joy of Your presence
and the pleasures of living with You forever.

No comments: