Wednesday, October 10, 2012

You Don't Have to Run on Empty - Fill Up with God's Word.


Last night I went to one of my grandson’s football games. He didn’t play until 7:30, so by the time I left the house it was dark. Another grandson, Blake, went with me. He was excited to get to see Lucas play.  As we traveled through town and out towards the sports complex, I remembered that I had been needing to stop and get gas for a couple of days.  For some reason, I drive right by our favorite station everyday yet often don’t remember or don’t take the time to fill up.  Then I find myself, like last night, with the red needle all the way down.  As we entered the road leading to the football and soccer fields, we wound on through the baseball fields that were well lit and full of activity. We turned the bend in the road and found ourselves in the woods! Suddenly Blake said, “Ooh it’s dark in here!” We had left the comfort of the light and I was on a road I’d never driven. I agreed and hoped again that I had enough gas to get me through the dark and on to the fields.  After the awesome game, of course with #56 being my favorite player, we got our chairs and headed for home. On the return out of the complex roads and onto the main street, I realized there was a huge hill up ahead. Did I have enough gas to make it through the line of cars in front of me and behind me? Did I literally have enough steam to get where I needed to go?

As we got to the gas station, I breathed a sigh of relief. As I opened the gas cap, I heard a huge exhale of pressure and I knew that I was running on empty. As I filled the car up I vowed to not let it go so long. It’s not safe to be out at night and take the chance of running out of gas. It wasn’t like I didn’t have plenty of gas stations in town to fill up at; it was just that I hadn’t taken the time. I was busy. I got the needed petrol to make it on home and to more events the next day. But I cut it awfully short.

Are you running on empty today?  Are you busy with everyday events, trying to juggle the house, the office, the church, the family and more? Are you running around on fumes, hoping that last month’s or last quarter’s Bible study is enough to get you where you need to go?

Oh beloved, run to the Lord this morning and take freely of all He has for you! He beckons you to come and fill up on His Word, so that you have the steam to make it through the day. There will be mountains to climb in the faith and you may encounter things you’ve not mastered before. You will need all God has to get you through!  How marvelous that God is standing there beckoning you to stop and fill up each and every day.  All of His promises, all of His fuel for living, is readily available, free for the asking and never in short supply.  Oh how He waits for you to stop and drink freely of His living water! Oh how He watches over you even while you let yourself run on empty.  All you need to fill up your heart completely with His power for living is to stop and rest in Him. Oh how He loves  you! Oh how He’s on your side! Oh what a Savior!

Proverbs 19:20-21 Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. You can make many plans, but the LORD’s purpose will prevail

Isaiah 55:1 Ho! Everyone who thirsts, come to the waters; and you who have no money come, buy and eat.

2 Thessalonians 1:11  So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of His call. May He give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do.

Psalm 107:9  For He has satisfied the thirsty soul, And the hungry soul He has filled with what is good.

Psalm 143:8  Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul.

Acts 2:28  You have shown me the way of life, and You will fill me with the joy of Your presence.

No comments: