Monday, October 14, 2013

Feeling a little weak? Get Connected!



Danny and I love coffee. He actually loved it before I did. Back when we were first married he drank it every day but I had no desire to even try it. After about 10 years, he finally talked me into it. What I liked about coffee the most was that it gave us time together. We had that in common and drinking coffee together especially in the morning gives us time to visit and discuss the day’s plans and talk together about God’s plans for our day.

We’ve gotten to like coffee so much that we’ve even begun to try gourmet coffees from various countries. We finally bought a more expensive coffee maker so that we could get hotter coffee quicker!

I got up yesterday morning to make coffee and the machine ran through a pot of coffee but when I went to pour a cup I found just colored water and it wasn’t even hot. I was concerned that our newest more expensive maker had already bit the dust. I tried everything. I carried it from plug to plug and yet no power. No light came on and no sizzle could be heard. Quickly, because we have to have our coffee you know, I told Danny something was wrong. He asked me if I’d checked everything and I said I had. But when he came downstairs to check it, he reached to the back and flipped a small switch. I had forgotten all about that switch. Sure enough with the main switch on the machine then lit up and began heating the reservoir so we could have our coffee!

How often do we take our life for granted? We just assume things are going to work well and instantly get things done when we need it. We flip a switch and we’re ready to go. Headlong we enter into every day, enjoying everything we can. We get busy and we start to leave things out. No time for things that are important to our life. We find that we start feeling powerless and the things that once gave us enjoyment don’t seem to be working anymore.

Without taking time to make sure that the power is on we are going to find ourselves disconnected and weak, just like that pot of coffee. We’ll get frustrated, confused and fearful. Where’s the power? Where’s the connection? Why isn’t my life working the way it’s supposed to?

You have a life that is full of wonder and delight. You probably can go on your own steam for the good days – at least we think so don’t we? You and I both, if we admit it, try to make it on our own power when things are going good. We don’t even check the connection we just go on our merry way.

Unfortunately life also has those times when we’re not sure how we’re going to make it. Troubles come in, problems arise and we feel as though we’ve thrown a breaker. We’re powerless and we are frantic. What will we do? Where will we go? Who’s going to fix it for us?

Oh beloved, today before you leave the house , take a moment to make sure the power switch is on. You could run on your own steam temporarily, but it’s much better when you’re connected to the Lord first thing, every day. If the connection has already been established, through the Word and prayer, then when a problem arises you’ll remember the connection and run right to the source of your power. You won’t have to scramble to find out what’s happened, you’ll keep brewing your life of faith even in the hard times.

God promises, because He loves you, that He will give you His wisdom, power and might. He’s always full of His power and always ready to pour out His Word to meet your every need. He’s never confined to the world’s power grid – He is ALL Power! He won’t turn you away, He won’t limit your use and you won’t go away wishing for something else.

God loves you and He’s for you and that’s the power you need to make each day flavorful, robust and fruitful all the days of your life!

Ephesians 6:10 10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power.

Matthew 22:29 Jesus replied, “Your mistake is that you don’t know the Scriptures, and you don’t know the power of God.”

2 Corinthians 12:9 Each time He said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.

1 Corinthians 1:24 But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.

No comments: