Sunday, October 20, 2013

It's Time to Release the Moorings!


We’ve had a couple of boats through the years. One was a bass boat and the other one was a ski boat. We spent a lot of time keeping both running. We found out after the bass boat that fishing was just work – not much fun. Eventually we gave up bass fishing altogether and went for another motorcycle.

I was reminded today of the old slapstick comedies, both movies and cartoons where the boats were tied to the dock. Invariably someone would try to make a quick getaway from the shore and inevitably there would be an accident because someone forgot to untie the rope from the dock. Either the cartoon cat driving the boat would be catapulted beyond the horizon or the movie actor would end up sinking in a boat broken in half.

Everyone who buys a boat intends to use it in the water. They have every intention of setting sail. Nobody wants to keep their boat always docked. It’s the drive across the water that is so appealing. Imagine never leaving shore. Imagine sitting in your boat and just thinking about pulling away. Imagine yet pulling away from the shore only to find that you are still connected with the dock! You won’t get far. And you’ll find that either the boat or you or both will have damage.

In my life, as I set out for new horizons I occasionally find that something seems attached to the shore. I want to move on but there are ropes holding me back. Can you relate? The ropes may be job security, age, natural ability, or family. Other ropes may be fear, unforgiveness, worry, bitterness, anger. It could just be the rope of familiarity – the one that says that’s where we’ve always been moored. Familiarity is the death knell of the future. None of us can set sail while holding onto the shore. It could be that someone has told you that you aren’t fit to be loose from the dock, but they aren’t God.

Oh beloved, are you looking at new horizons? Are you dreaming of moving out into the deep with the Lord but wondering if you’ll sink? Are you hearing God speak new things into your life but you just hate to cut the ropes that seem so comforting? What will you do if you let go of familiar things? What will you do if you let go of what is good? Who will go with you across the way? How will you make it in unknown water?

God speaks to my heart: Precious child. You cannot go on with Me if you hold onto the shore. It’s time to let go of everything else but Me. It may seem rather scary but I AM the only one who can keep you from sinking. Even if the water gets choppy, I AM there. Even if no one goes with you I AM with you. My desire for you is that you learn to trust Me completely so that I can speak freedom into your life. The shore is simply a launching pad for deeper things with Me. Hang on, untie the ropes and let’s go beyond where you’ve ever been before. It will all be good because I will be the Captain of your vessel and My plans are absolutely perfect and best for you.

Oh beloved, The Captain of Your Salvation indeed knows best because He loves you and He’s for you and that’s worth letting go to sail on with Him.

Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart’s desires.

Romans 12:2 Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect.

Zechariah 10:12 By My power I will make My people strong, and by My authority they will go wherever they wish. I, the Lord, have spoken!

Malachi 4:2 But for you who fear My name, the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing in His wings. And you will go free, leaping with joy like calves let out to pasture.

Isaiah 55:12 For you will go out with joy And be led forth with peace; The mountains and the hills will break forth into shouts of joy before you, And all the trees of the field will clap their hands.


No comments: