Thursday, October 24, 2013

Let God Shift Your Plans for His Best


I had forgotten something at my office the other night and didn’t realize it until 9:30 pm. I asked my daughter living across the street if she wanted to go with me. She agreed and I even let her drive my car. I don’t see well at night, so it was a big help!

As she pushed the start button and then looked at the gear knob, she stopped for a moment. “This car is backwards! You should have to pull it down to go backwards and push it up to go forwards.” We laughed about it as we pulled out of my driveway.

This morning I was thinking about how the drive of faith can be a lot like the gears in a car. Sometimes it seems we are going backwards when we’re really going forward. A change in gears is often seen as a setback or a wrong direction. We don’t like change. We don’t want to change gears, change houses, change directions or change our plans. We’re creatures of familiarity. We like feeling at home, settling in and remaining for the long haul.

But just like buying a new car and having to learn the nuances of it, we too must keep our faith fresh and new. We must say yes to God no matter where He puts us. We must drive away into the unknown, sometimes without knowing where we’re heading, and trust Him to teach us how to go there. We can sit and fumble with the direction of our life, just like my daughter fumbled with the gear shift, or we can say “Lord, teach me”. We can’t keep driving the new direction with our old plan for it will not work in the same way. We must leave behind what we loved in order to find His best for us.

God speaks to our hearts: You’ve been driving in the same direction and it’s been good. You know the ropes, you know the plans, you know the talk. But you are now faced with an entirely new plan. I know you’re unsure of the new because you were so familiar with the old – comfortable, good at it and willing to stay the course no matter what. But I AM taking you out of your comfort zone and into a new thing. No one took your plans away because I AM in charge of your life – every single detail. So even if it looks like you have been left stranded on the side of the road without a vehicle to drive forward, you have Me. Even if the change was unexpected, unwarranted or unbelievable, I AM guiding you. And I will put you on firm footing and get you right where I want you. You may feel like you’ve been set back, put in reverse or sitting idle, but as you look at Me instead of the circumstances you will see that I AM the one who is driving you forward and keeping you right in the center of my will. No thought of man, no scheme of flesh, no plan of the enemy can get you off course as you let Me steer you into new horizons and over new ground.  It may seem uncomfortable at first, but when you see where I am taking you, you will love it for it is My will that over rides any gear you feel stuck in.

Oh beloved, stop stripping gears over changed plans! God is with you, God is Sovereign and God has His plan for you! Get in gear with the Lord and ride on with Him! It’s a tailor made journey, with all the right gears, the right vehicle and the right mode. You can trust Him because He loves you and He’s for you – no matter what– He is with you all the days of your life.

Genesis 19:16 When Lot still hesitated, the angels seized his hand and the hands of his wife and two daughters and rushed them to safety outside the city, for the LORD was merciful.

Isaiah 43:19 Behold, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs forth; do you not perceive and know it and will you not give heed to it? I will even make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert. (Amplified)

Psalm 33:11 But the Lord’s plans stand firm forever; His intentions can never be shaken.

Ephesians 1:11 Furthermore, because we are united with Christ, we have received an inheritance from God, for He chose us in advance, and He makes everything work out according to His plan.

No comments: