Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Learning Experiences Disguised as Near Fatal Blows


Tuesday October 22, 2013 Devotional -


I’ll never forget the day in 1962 when I was hit in the cheek with a golf club. I was 6 years old and was being given “lessons” by a friend’s grandson. As the blow swiped me off my feet I remember seeing my mother in a distant lawn chair. Her hands flew to her mouth in horror as she leaped to her feet to come to my aid. As I think of her reaction my eyes well with tears at just how much she always loved me.

What I didn’t know was that my mother thought he had hit me in the eye. Blood was everywhere. She was frantic. It could have been disfiguring. It could have been a very intensive situation. I didn’t know what had happened for a moment. All I knew was one moment I was standing behind the “teacher” and the next moment I was down and out.

We went to Wadley Hospital where I was promptly stitched up. The boy who caused the accident came into the room to tell me he was sorry. Of course he didn’t do it with malice. We just collided as I stood too close behind him as he swung the metal club. Afterwards I got to drop a penny in the fountain outside the hospital.

To this day I bear the scar on my left cheek. Most people never notice it. Although it looked like something much worse had happened I’m happy to say it is barely perceptible now. I do remember not to stand too close behind someone who is wielding a golf club!

God speaks to my heart: My precious child. Life is full of learning experiences that come disguised as near fatal blows. Often you have been totally down and out due to a swiping hit. Sometimes it has come from another; sometimes it was by accident; other times quite on purpose. You have felt rejected, injured, bleeding. At times you just knew you would die. Although it seemed so severe, My hand was holding back the lethalness. My hand was keeping you from being totally ruined, disfigured or disabled. Each time you recovered it was My Spirit that built you up, renewed you and increased your faith. Don’t look in the mirror of your own past or your own fears or your own hurts, but rather look into the mirror of My Word. As you reflect on the heart healing I give you, you will lay aside the hurts and anguish. As you reflect on the Truth, you will be able to quench the lies the enemy will try to speak into your heart. Not only will you learn more about Me you will be able to tell others that their injuries can be healed as they too learn to Trust in My Word.

Oh beloved, ultimately there is only one thing that will keep you from losing your life and that is the Truth that God loves you and He’s for you so He will watch over you, guide you and keep you safe all the days of your life.

Psalm 146:5 But joyful are those who have the God of Israel as their helper, whose hope is in the Lord their God.

Hebrews 13:6 So we can say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?”

Habakkuk 3:18 yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation!

1 comment:

Jamie said...

This is a blessing, thank you!